PDA

View Full Version : HONEY I CAN FINISH BASEMENT MYSELF

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
hey all

found this today--husband is such a handy man. also notice the kitchen waste pipe from sink. no slope- earlier i noticed sink drain was leaking and had a lot of crude dripping in p-trap--wonder why

cvf

Phil Gould
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Looks like he used some of his blue roofing material on the basement walls.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
two pictures didn'y upload

here they are

cvf

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
brain fart

Nick Ostrowski
02-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like somebody was making space for a garage door track. HA HA!!! I wonder how much that blunder will cost to fix. How many of the I-joists did he notch?

One of those is a triple width too. Whoops!!!!

John Arnold
02-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to get near power tools.

John Kogel
02-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't worry. If those joists sag, that new wall will carry the weight. Not. :confused:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Rename your photos Chas, (i.e.address, owner/client name, MLS #, etc.).Is there a cure for brain farts yet? :D

Billy Stephens
02-10-2012, 05:54 PM
hey all

found this today--husband is such a handy man. also notice the kitchen waste pipe from sink. no slope- earlier i noticed sink drain was leaking and had a lot of crude dripping in p-trap--wonder why

cvf
Hey Charlie,

Maybe he wanted to scab in all those I Beams The Plumber Left Behind.

Raymond Wand
02-10-2012, 06:07 PM
No pipe hangers either! :D

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-11-2012, 04:57 PM
hg

rename what ???
cvf

John Arnold
02-11-2012, 05:37 PM
hg

rename what ???
cvf

Charlie - I think he's referring to the fact that when you role your cursor over your thumbnail images, it appears that the name of the client or street or some other identifier might be in the file name.

Nick Ostrowski
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
The last thing you want is some nameless coward from this site to call the listing agent of the property and talk $hit about you because you forgot to rename your pics. Oh wait a minute.....that happened to me.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
02-11-2012, 06:44 PM
what ever--i hate politics--will do in future--address the thread--no need just sharing

cvf

Billy Stephens
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
The last thing you want is some nameless coward from this site to call the listing agent of the property and talk $hit about you because you forgot to rename your pics. Oh wait a minute.....that happened to me.
But It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia | Only on FX (http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/sunny/) :D

Nick Ostrowski
02-11-2012, 07:21 PM
But It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia | Only on FX (http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/sunny/) :D

If it's always sunny in Philadelphia, then why do I see so many dark clouds above me during my Philly inspections?

That show is a riot.

BridgeMan
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Scary, actually, and potentially dangerous as well. Reminds me of an owner-built home I lived near many years ago in Wisconsin. The City building inspector had so many red tags stapled everywhere, he must have been buying them by the case. The owner/builder didn't know a thing about framing or concrete work, and yet he (eventually) managed to build the entire place himself. He was still working on it when I moved out of the subdivision 2 years later.

"Honey, I know I can do it--honest!"

brian schmitt
02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
someone needs a little timeout time with a structural engineer!:D

Steve Truesdale
05-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Is there even any cement on this joint?

And why cut all the notches, then hang the pipe well below them?

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/structural-components-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/24533d1328908869-honey-i-can-finish-basement-myself-flores-inspection-028.jpg

Billy Stephens
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Is there even any cement on this joint?

And why cut all the notches, then hang the pipe well below them?

Hi Steve,

Don't know about the cement.

If your going to finish the basement the notches would be someplace to jam the pipe into behind the Sheetrock.

Steve Truesdale
05-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh I understand the intent of the "remodeler" and the alleged reason for the notches, but despite the lack of hangars, it looks like the pipe is in its finished placement. With the vertical drop from above, and the turn down the wall, it's not like he can just cram the pipe into place.

My question was more of a dig at the skills displayed, rather than an actual question. :)

(and a post to keep the "you haven't posted in a while" bot off my back)

Billy Stephens
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
. With the vertical drop from above, and the turn down the wall, it's not like he can just cram the pipe into place.

He Can't ? :D
* you do realize he has use of a Saws all. :eek:

Garry Blankenship
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Serious stuff. Bad enough to do that to dimensional lumber, but I'm guessing that leaves those engineered I beams w/ somewhere close to no/none/0 structural strength.

Steve Truesdale
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
He Can't ? :D
* you do realize he has use of a Saws all. :eek:

Heavy on the "ALL" there. :D