PDA

View Full Version : Double Trap, Pre-existing

Nick Builder
08-25-2007, 08:16 AM
I have a situation where a p-trap was placed for the bath tub and 2 feet later the water enters a drum trap. The general building inspector says it was double trapped! It was all existing prior to the floor being opened yet I am being forced to change it anyway.

It is much easier to cut out the p-trap and leave the drum trap, however this will result in the vent being in front of the drum trap....

The never ending question, can I vent in front of the trap?

Jerry Peck
08-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Nick,

Leave the P trap, remove the drum trap.

The vent needs to be after the trap and drum traps are, to my knowledge, no longer allowed.

From the IRC.

- P3201.5 Prohibited trap designs. The following types of traps are prohibited:
- - 1. Bell traps.
- - 2. Separate fixture traps with interior partitions, except those lavatory traps made of plastic, stainless steel or other corrosion-resistant material.
- - 3. ā€œSā€ traps.
- - 4. Drum traps.
- - 5. Trap designs with moving parts.

Jerry McCarthy
08-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Drum Traps and what they look like.

Jerry Peck
08-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Jerry Mc.,

Thanks, I've seen photos of the type in the second photo, but had not seen any like that shown in the first photo.

stanley clark
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
this is a question about drum traps.I have one that is I believe brass and have removed the plug to look inside but its to dirty to see any thing,but it feels like when I put a screw driver in it that there is a plate half way down.Is this some type of screen to catch debris and can it be removed to clean under it.Thanks for any answers. Stan