PDA

View Full Version : Light switch required

Andrew Grossman
02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Is a light switch required just inside the front door of a single family home that controls the chandelier hanging in the front entry foyer? Or is it allowable for that switch to be about 15 feet or so inside house, away from the front door?

Rick Cantrell
02-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Other than for stairways and height, there are no requirements on the location of switches to control lights.

Jerry Peck
02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
That's one of the quirks of the codes ... the codes do not address stupidity, common sense, or the lack of common sense. ;)

Derek Guridi
02-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Other than for stairways and height, there are no requirements on the location of switches to control lights.

I think you missed one.

210.70(A)(3) Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor
spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting
outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch
shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or
contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of
control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces.
The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment
requiring servicing.

Derek Guridi
02-20-2012, 06:03 AM
That's one of the quirks of the codes ... the codes do not address stupidity, common sense, or the lack of common sense. ;)

true.

Rich Goeken
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM

Resurrecting and old one... Any changes to the code in this issue? I couldn't find any.

Don Hester
08-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know when it was first required that you need a switched light in a room. I see the 210.70 first shows in 1981 but was there another requirement that predates this?