PDA

View Full Version : Water stain on basement drop ceiling next to exterior wall

Peter Louis
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
The exterior is brick veneer & wood siding with a chimney adjacent. A small stain on the drop ceiling next to wall & mark on the floor joist as well. The exterior wall looks fine. where is the water from? Condensate or leaking? 1988 house

Thanks

Michael Dennison
02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I can see the middle picture fairly well but are having trouble putting the 1st and 3rd pics into perspective of what I am looking at.

Do you have a picture from a higher angle showing the junction of the wood siding and the brick?

Billy Stephens
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
The exterior is brick veneer & wood siding with a chimney adjacent. A small stain on the drop ceiling next to wall & mark on the floor joist as well. The exterior wall looks fine. where is the water from? Condensate or leaking? 1988 house

Thanks
The Stain on the Ceiling Tile appears too large for condensation , I'd look for leak.

Eric Barker
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
What if the tile was not stained at that location?

Peter Louis
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Could it be by the masonry chimney which cold draft caused spot condensate? or previous leaking from chimney flashing

Stephen G
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
My thoughts as well.

What if the tile was not stained at that location?

Steven Turetsky
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
The transition from siding to veneer can certainly be a trouble spot. But you say the ceiling is leaking, isn't that below the ceiling?

With 1st and 3rd, post some far away photos, so I can visualize what I am looking at.

In a building that size, I agree that it is not condensation... unless there is a leaking condensation drain or some other unusual condition.

John Kogel
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
The dropped ceiling usually is added to cover up a bunch of unsightly ducts and plumbing pipes. The stains are usually from dripping plumbing pipes. Sometimes the copper cold pipe will sweat a bit, but more likely it was a leak, maybe a dripping drain pipe.

At sea level in Southern BC, brickwork against a wall doesn't get cold enough to cause condensation. Any moisture behind bricks will be due to rain leaking in.