PDA

View Full Version : disposal/DW shared neutral

Matt Fellman
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm helping a past client troubleshoot an electrical problem and am wondering if anyone has any advice.

Shared 3+1 leaves the panel for the DW and disposal. At both appliances there is a single 2+1 coming from the wall. So, where's the junction? J-boxes must remain accessible, right? Is there a standard place or way an electrician might wire this? Could the box be behind the cabinets (I'm thinking this wouldn't be "accessible" but who knows).

Problem is there is no neutral continuity at the DW but there is at the Disposal so it seems very likely it's disconnected at the junction in question. This is the middle floor of a newer condo unit so I can't imagine the box is above or below.

I'm stumped (easily done sometimes).

Robert Meier
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Sounds like there is a JB somewhere. Could be hidden or just not in an obvious location.

Chuck Kaatz
02-29-2012, 08:34 PM
It maybe spliced in the Disposal switch box

Matt Fellman
02-29-2012, 08:37 PM
It maybe spliced in the Disposal switch box

Good call...... can't believe I didn't think to check that.

Derek Guridi
03-03-2012, 05:19 AM
I would look behind the DW also.

Donald Farrell
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Matt,

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Your description is to vague.

Please define what you mean by a 3+1. Are you speaking of a 12/3 cable connecting to two tandem 20 amp breakers with joined handles?

Or even better, what is the issue you are trying to repair or identify? Will you please attach some picture of the install.

Don