PDA

View Full Version : Chimney shroud

mathew stouffer
03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
This is a SFH in a small sub division which is part of a larger division. The planning board and county appoved these. The neighbors just caught on fire last week. Do you classify this as the 2 10 rule/POS. It's a wood buring fireplace.

Markus Keller
03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Not sure what you are asking Matt. As far as the overall chimney structure it looks fine. With an opening on all 4 sides, which seems to be the case, there should be plenty of draft.
My questions would revolve around what is the top cover made of, is the stone full size or just some veneer slapped on top of a 2x and plywood substructure, what is the actual chimney (clay, B-vent, block, etc) and how are the actual chimney and the structure sealed around the opening.
I'll walk some tricky roofs if I have to, not sure I'd walk that one though.

Stephen G
03-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Where were you standing when you took that pic? It looks like it satisfies the 3-2-10 rule. The cap as mentioned above is questionable. I dont like the four (4) small openings, may effect start up draft, thats me.

Some people shouldnt have FPs and wood stoves without going on a course. I have seen and heard what they are burning and the results of it is a filthy creosote fire hazard built into the home.
What did the inside of the fire place look like, pic of the damper?

Spring is coming, time to call the sweep.;)

Bob Harper
03-03-2012, 07:08 AM
If its a factory built fireplace, it's an unlisted shroud and must be called out. If its a masonry fireplace then unless you have some local ordinance to the contrary, I don't see the problem with the shroud.

Stephen G
03-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Shouldnt it have a little larger over hang with a cap break under...

If its a factory built fireplace, it's an unlisted shroud and must be called out. If its a masonry fireplace then unless you have some local ordinance to the contrary, I don't see the problem with the shroud.

Jim Luttrall
03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I enlarged the photo and think I see a metal cap hiding inside... Looks like a factory made system to me. Shroud is wrong like Bob said.

mathew stouffer
03-03-2012, 02:31 PM
The fireplace flue is metal and the interior of that shroud is osb and 2x4 with some cement board around the flue at the penetration into the cap.

Bob Harper
03-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Dale would call this "job security". Huge fire hazard.

Vern Heiler
03-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Dale would call this "job security". Huge fire hazard.
I was wondering how the neighbors caught fire:confused: . Was this little tidbit-bit of information what got you on the roof Matt? Good job any way you got it. (Don't know if I would have climed that snow covered roof?)

mathew stouffer
03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
I was not easy to get up there and the buyer wanted to know if I cleared the snow and inspected the roof;) Anyway, here are some pics of the inside of the shroud, diff house but they are all the some.

Bob Harper
03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I would report this to the State Fire Marshal's Office. This is gross negligence on many people's parts.

I would red tag and lock out such fireplaces on the spot.

Scott Patterson
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
I would report this to the State Fire Marshal's Office. This is gross negligence on many people's parts.

I would red tag and lock out such fireplaces on the spot.

I would also post the name of the subdivision and builder so folks will know they are living in a time bomb!

mathew stouffer
03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I brought it up before and was written off. Now one of the chimneys caught on fire and there is an "investigation"

BridgeMan
03-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Good catch, Mathew. And it looks like your inspection business will be getting some positive (and free!) advertising when the local newspapers get wind of what's going on, and find out that you've already pointed out the hazard but your recommendations were ignored.

Rod Butler
03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
I brought it up before and was written off. Now one of the chimneys caught on fire and there is an "investigation"

I have seen this myself several times in your area. I am not a HI so I didn't "report" it to anyone but I did ask the contractor and he stated that that the architect had stamped it and PC had approved it.

However as I recall the ones I saw were on gas fired fire places and not wood burning.

Bob Harper
03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
If the State Fire Marshal gets wind of it then he can investigate who approved these installations and why it has been allowed for so long. Also, if I was a HI who had done any work in this development and had not written these defects up I'd be sitting pretty nervous about now.

mathew stouffer
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
They are all over the place around here. They are wood burning fireplaces, with gas log inserts. But the home owners move in an pull out the gas logs and burn wood.