PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Addition gone bad!!

Sean Bacon
04-04-2007, 05:56 AM
I was called out to document for a pending court case regarding the installation of plumbing for a kitchen addition. The kitchen was extended out from the rear of the house about 6 feet. The sink was extended out to the inside of the outside wall. The waste pipe and copper supply piping was extended through the basement back wall under the house through an open cavity that was constructed to enclose the piping. The cavity appears to have minimal insulation, but no vapor or moisture barrier on the ground ( dirt floor). In addition, the rear basement bathroom also has the waste and supply piping on the rear exterior wall. There appears to have been styrofoam insulation in place, but my assumption is that this was inadequate. The owner of the home experienced frozen pipes both at the basement bathroom and kitchen. Also, it's a frame house with vinyl siding. Under the siding is Tyvek and insulation, I'm assuming board. Is there anything outside of the obvious being a lack of insulation along the rear outside wall that you guys can help with? Thanks for your comments.

Sean Bacon
04-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Additional pictures

Sean Bacon
04-04-2007, 06:06 AM
The picture upload is driving me bats. I try to upload 10 pics and isn't allowing me to do so.

Sean Bacon
04-04-2007, 06:10 AM
I hope this works

Sean Bacon
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Guys, no comments???? Please help!!!

BARRY ADAIR
04-05-2007, 04:03 AM
"document a kitchen addition"

Looks like a bathroom to me.

Are things that tough in Chi-town?

Sean Bacon
04-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Barry,

You got me on that one. I included the bathroom pics because it is also along the rear basement outside wall. The supply and waste piping in this area was affected by the same freezing scenario. The original supply piping to he kitchen addition has been modified from the original outside wall configuration. Are you aware of specific code outside of general construction practice and common sense regarding the distance between supply/waste pipes and the outside wall and also what insulating methods could be taken if this has been compromised?

Thanks,

Jerry Peck
04-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Not sure just what you are looking for, but, keying in on one word, the IRC says this:
- P2603.6 Freezing. In localities having a winter design temperature of 32°F (0°C) or lower as shown in Table R301.2(1) of this code, a water, soil or waste pipe shall not be installed outside of a building, in exterior walls, in attics or crawl spaces, or in any other place subjected to freezing temperature unless adequate provision is made to protect it from freezing by insulation or heat or both. Water service pipe shall be installed not less than 12 inches (305 mm) deep and not less than 6 inches (152 mm) below the frost line.

Then, to get the winter design temperature, you need to go to the IPC, Appendix D, and Chicago is shown as being from 2 degrees to -4 degrees. Well below the 32 degree threshold for having the pipes (ALL pipes) 'within the insulated thermal envelope' of the building or otherwise protecting them as stated above.

dick whitfield
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
The only thing that pops into mind is the venting of the sink that was moved 6 feet. I would check that to be sure the venting is within code.