PDA

View Full Version : Shower light fixture

Richard Roshak
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Attached are two light fixtures which were installed in a shower/tub area of a three year old home. I thought a cover is required and not an exposed bulb.

Robert Meier
03-10-2012, 04:20 PM
A few things, for one is the fixture subject to shower spray? If not, then a damp rated fixture is all that's required. They do make wet location rated fixtures that utilize an open PAR type lamp.

Jim Port
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
As RM said, not all shower trims are closed style.

Zane Remenda
03-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi,

It is also important that lights above a shower or bath have a GFCI circuit.

Sometimes, the whole bathroom can be on a GFCI circuit in the main panel.

Either way, I always recommend to have it verified by a master electrician.

Hope this helps.
Zane

Robert Meier
03-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi,

It is also important that lights above a shower or bath have a GFCI circuit.

Sometimes, the whole bathroom can be on a GFCI circuit in the main panel.

Either way, I always recommend to have it verified by a master electrician.

Hope this helps.
Zane

Not sure about Canada but a light fixture over a shower does not require GFCI protection in the US. Might not be a bad idea but not required.

Rollie Meyers
03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
Not sure about Canada but a light fixture over a shower does not require GFCI protection in the US. Might not be a bad idea but not required.

If manufacturers instructions stated that GFCI protection was required if used in a shower area, then it would be required. Otherwise I agree.

John Kogel
03-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Not sure about Canada but a light fixture over a shower does not require GFCI protection in the US. Might not be a bad idea but not required.In BC, the western and superior part of Canada :), the switch needs to be 1 meter (39 ") away from the shower or tub. Only the wall receptacle is required to be on a GFCI.

Robert Meier
03-11-2012, 05:54 AM
If manufacturers instructions stated that GFCI protection was required if used in a shower area, then it would be required. Otherwise I agree.

Yes that's true of any piece of equipment not only for things over a shower. Usually bathroom exhaust fans do require protection according to the manufacturers instructions when installed over a tub or shower. I have yet to see a shower fixture that the manufacturer required GFCI protection.

Zane Remenda
03-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Here is a quote from the Panasonic web site:

CAN A PANASONIC FAN BE USED OVER A BATHTUB OR SHOWER? Yes, provided it is protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). Keep in mind, however, that any ventilation device located in a damp environment may have a reduced life due to high humidity and a potential for corrosion. Fans used in high-humidity areas should be operated for longer periods of time, to ensure the removal of moisture and to reduce the potential for condensation in the fan body or ducting.

I have a panasonic fan myself and it is quiet! Although it is a safe distance from the tub.
Cheers
Zane

Derek Guridi
03-11-2012, 07:21 AM
Yes that's true of any piece of equipment not only for things over a shower. Usually bathroom exhaust fans do require protection according to the manufacturers instructions when installed over a tub or shower. I have yet to see a shower fixture that the manufacturer required GFCI protection.

Here ya go. I have had to install these in public handicap shower enclosures.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/mediabase/specifications/k-1665.pdf

Robert Meier
03-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Here ya go. I have had to install these in public handicap shower enclosures.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/mediabase/specifications/k-1665.pdf

Thanks for the link. I figured that someone made a light with a GFCI requirement. :)

Jerry McCarthy
03-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Looks like a sample from my "Darwin Shower Light Fixture" collection.