PDA

View Full Version : Expansion foam in heatilator grills

Stephen G
03-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Question: Why would they plug up the heatilator with expansion foam or anything else for that matter. If it wont work as originaly designed because of the insert being installed, couldnt they have just changed the grills to one that closes. Is it that drafty with them open and un-used. I see many FPs but they have always been open. There shouldnt be fresh air, maybe the cold chimney behind it is transferring the cold..? thats what I am leaning towards..

your thoughts:)

Bob Harper
03-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Fire hazard and must be removed regardless of what is burning in the fireplace. Shouldn't be getting cold air infiltration--should be convective loop from lower grilled over and around heat exchanger out upper grilles. Recommend remove foam then level II w/ scope to ensure air passageways intact and no visible combustibles in those airways. I usually find paper,cardboard, wood, etc. in them. The design needs to breathe. Blocking those vents can raise firebox temps.

Stephen G
03-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Thank you Bob.

Fire hazard and must be removed regardless of what is burning in the fireplace. Shouldn't be getting cold air infiltration--should be convective loop from lower grilled over and around heat exchanger out upper grilles. Recommend remove foam then level II w/ scope to ensure air passageways intact and no visible combustibles in those airways. I usually find paper,cardboard, wood, etc. in them. The design needs to breathe. Blocking those vents can raise firebox temps.

Dom D'Agostino
03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Question: Why would they plug up the heatilator with expansion foam or anything else for that matter.

After awhile, you stop asking "why". ;)

Stephen G
03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
There are other question that I stopped asking;)

I am trying to get experience for my WETT certification. I know a bunch on wood stoves and some combo furnaces but mnf install with heatilator isnt something I have come across to often...and filled with foam...

The more you know eh :D

After awhile, you stop asking "why". ;)

Lou Curley
03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Also, check the manufacturer's instructions on the insert to see if it can be installed in a Heatilator and check the instructions on the Heatilator to see if an insert can be installed. (check both sets of instructions)

Stephen G
03-17-2012, 06:05 AM
I will be looking into the insert for just that. This is an onsite built fireplace and chimney, are you suggesting that the 'heatilator has install instructions as well. Home built in '66, I am going to be lucky to find info on the insert which may be just a little younger. The casting read: Dutch West.

Good info Lou thanks.

sdg

Also, check the manufacturer's instructions on the insert to see if it can be installed in a Heatilator and check the instructions on the Heatilator to see if an insert can be installed. (check both sets of instructions)