PDA

View Full Version : Amendment option in report?

Marc M
03-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Do any of you have a clause that allows you to amend your report within a designated number of days after you send out the report?
My insurance agent sent me a note/suggestion today to add that to my report.
Just wondering...

Ken Rowe
03-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Yes, 24 hours.

Marc M
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Hmmm interesting. He suggests 5 days. Can I ask how come only 24 hours? I'm just curious.

Scott Patterson
03-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Do any of you have a clause that allows you to amend your report within a designated number of days after you send out the report?
Just wondering...

I don't say anything about being able to amend a report. I just do it if needed. Why tell or warn folks that you might make a mistake?

If I discover I left something out or need to change the report, I just do it and send out the new "revised" report. I apologize for the new report and explain what was changed and tell them to use the revised report.

I just can't see revising a report more than 24-48 hours after the inspection. Most of the time our reports are very time sensitive in relation to the time permitted in the sales contract for the inspection and results.

I might revise 2-3 reports a year and those are usually for minor items. I just revised one because I had bathroom pictures swapped around, I was not use to my new HIP software.... I think I did it about two days after the inspection.

Markus Keller
03-16-2012, 05:55 AM
'report correction, 48 hours' is listed in my contract. I also use it maybe a couple times a year and usually within a few hours of sending out the 1st report. I'll look over the report one last time or notice something while filing the field notes and realize something is out of place or I forgot to put in something.
The few clients I've emailed a revised report to haven't had a problem with it. I would suggest you add in a correction clause. Then again, I can't imagine any client actually ever noticed there was a correction clause in the contract.

Ken Rowe
03-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Hmmm interesting. He suggests 5 days. Can I ask how come only 24 hours? I'm just curious.

No specific reason, but after 24 hours I'm not thinking of that report any longer.

Matt Fellman
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Mine is up until the time of trial :)

Realistically, anything more than 24 hours is a bit long for most uses and I could see it being argued in court. People take action off of the report quickly and anything added after they've released their inspection contingency is useless from a financial standpoint.

Ian Page
03-16-2012, 05:50 PM
I rarely amend a report but frequently issue an adendum. Being that most r.e. transactions are time sensitive, the report is often an integral aspect of negotiations, I willingly make additions for clarification through close. I see limited value in placing a stipulated time-frame, when it may be in your client's best interest to justify or explain findings in further detail.

If a glaring mistake is discovered, either by myself or anyone else involved in the transaction, then I feel obligated to amend the report with a suitable explanation, as necessary. I simply don't see my inspections or reports as once done and forgotten, so on to the next...

Vern Heiler
03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I hate when that happens - 3:30am and the eyes slam open like the gates at the horse races. "Did I put that in the report or not?" No sense trying to go back to sleep, so 3:35 and checking report. If it wasn't in the report, the best hope is the amended report will be the first they see in there morning email. Being human has its drawbacks.

Jack Feldmann
03-16-2012, 06:57 PM
MY contract has a five day clause. Most of the time its like Vern said, a sudden head slap moment. Other times, its because I saw something that I needed to research further (such as going on IN and see what others have to say.
I will usually know when I need extra time, and tell my clients to expect a little delay in getting the report. For the most part, I complete the report on site, and rarely have a problem.

Marc M
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I hate when that happens - 3:30am and the eyes slam open like the gates at the horse races. "Did I put that in the report or not?" No sense trying to go back to sleep, so 3:35 and checking report. If it wasn't in the report, the best hope is the amended report will be the first they see in there morning email. Being human has its drawbacks.

I think we've all been there.

Matt Fellman
03-17-2012, 02:09 PM
I think we've all been there.

For me it's always when I'm at the next house and see something that jogs my memory. I'll go to test the smoke detector and then remember there was one missing in a previous house, for example.

Jerry McCarthy
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Why advertise your report may be incomplete or worse, inaccurate?
If something was omitted send out a revision immediately and hope to hell escrow has not closed before that got your revision.

Marc M
03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
For me it's always when I'm at the next house and see something that jogs my memory. I'll go to test the smoke detector and then remember there was one missing in a previous house, for example.

There too...:D

David Stoffer
03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Just wondering...

Yes, 72 hrs.

Eric Barker
03-19-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't say anything about being able to amend a report. I just do it if needed. Why tell or warn folks that you might make a mistake?

If I discover I left something out or need to change the report, I just do it and send out the new "revised" report. I apologize for the new report and explain what was changed and tell them to use the revised report.

Pretty much the same here. But I don't hide the fact that inspectors (including me) can miss things and make mistakes. In fact, there's a blurb in my agreement that things can occasionally be missed. I don't see much benefit in letting anyone think otherwise and so far people (with very few exceptions) seem to accept the fact that I'm human.

Ken Harbeck
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Nope. We review and issue the report on the spot. How are you going to tell the client you did an oops after they’ve removed their (upon inspection) sales condition? In our area usually the Realtor pressures the buyer to sign the removal on the spot as soon as we’re done. Yes it’s a sales tactic, but never-the-less the buyer is making the decision based on what the HI has told them up to the time (then or later) they remove the condition.

And just think of your liability later. "I removed conditions and bought the house, then later the inspector told me xyz was wrong your honour.”

Jerry Peck
03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Nope. We review and issue the report on the spot. How are you going to tell the client you did an oops after they’ve removed their (upon inspection) sales condition? In our area usually the Realtor pressures the buyer to sign the removal on the spot as soon as we’re done. Yes it’s a sales tactic, but never-the-less the buyer is making the decision based on what the HI has told them up to the time (then or later) they remove the condition.

And just think of your liability later. "I removed conditions and bought the house, then later the inspector told me xyz was wrong your honour.”

This is coming from a person who has implied that they adhere to the SoP *minimum* level of inspections?

Eric Barker
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
How are you going to tell the client you did an oops after they’ve removed their (upon inspection) sales condition? ]

I don't see that as my concern - how they or their agent handle things with the seller is outside of my arena. Besides, I usually catch my oversights within a few hours of the inspection.

Mike Schulz
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
Ken you just proved another reason to not give a report on the spot. Besides most realtors and clients go home, read it and come up with a list of issues they want to address, which typically if you forget something you get it to them before they send theirs off to sellers.
How do you address something you forgot? Are you saying your perfect all the time. Like others it may arrise once a year or so and I hope you don't sweep it under the rug.:confused:

mary johnson570
03-26-2012, 02:13 AM
interesting thread,
prize bond (http://www.currency.com.pk/prizebond)