PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma No Hands!

Jim Gecz
08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Amazing what you will find simply sticking your little $200 digital camera into odd spaces.

First photo is taken from the ash pit clean out door. Just stuck the camera in and look at what we find! Yes, that is the bottom of the inner hearth.

Next set is the fireplace with the arched face. The 3rd photo is a shot looking up the arch to the top of the firebox connection to the face. Taking a peak up will pay off.

Immediately to the left of the fireplace, not shown, is a closet that extends almost even with the start of the arch. That is, a portion of the brickwork to the left of the fireplace is decorative, hiding the closet. Guess where all that heat may be going?

Jim

Bruce Breedlove
08-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Jim, That fireplace has been there for years and has never killed anyone or burned down the house. So there must not be a problem. Are you trying to kill the deal?

Out of sight, out of mind.

What you don't know can't hurt you.

:D

Michael Thomas
08-31-2007, 05:03 AM
This is why I just keep adding to my list of "routine" pictures taken at every inspection - there are now nine I take of every site-built fireplace - it's sometimes astounding what you can see back at the office after enhancing them in Photoshop (this is of course in addition to my normal visual inspection).

Jerry Peck
08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
it's sometimes astounding what you can see back at the office after enhancing them

Bet if you "enhanced them" enough, you'd even see where Mister St. Nick himself came down that chimney. :D