PDA

View Full Version : Foundation crack

Christian Tag
03-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi everyone,

Ive noticed a horizontal crack on the foundation (most probably the parging). Could that be caused by a structural problem or is it a minor crack ?

Thank you

Raymond Wand
03-18-2012, 05:15 AM
In my opinion its a parging crack, but it is possible for the crack to extend into the mortar joint.

Three materials (concrete foundation, mortar joint, and clay brick) all have different expansion and contraction characteristics.

Eric Barker
03-18-2012, 05:38 AM
I carry a small crowbar that I use to tap parged surfaces. The sound of the tapping will indicate a loose surface. Based upon the photos I'd say there's no significant concern.

Markus Keller
03-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Pic 1 is just a parging crack along an overfilled seam
Pic 2 could also be a surface parging crack, or more depends. Anytime you see masonry cracking and there is a downspout in the vicinity you need to assess what that downspout is doing.
The DS could be ok, could be a failed connection, could be building up ice and saturating the wall.

BARRY ADAIR
03-19-2012, 05:28 AM
try this, may help you determine

Jerry McCarthy
03-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Interesting the second photo of the foundation crack is adjacent to a raingutter downspout. Hmmmmm ?

Christian Tag
03-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Thank you very much for your quick answers !

Eric Shuman
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
I see both of these types of cracks commonly. The first photo looks like the joint between the brick and brick ledge has "popped" the parge coating horizontally (possibly from differing thermal expansion between the materials). I typically do not call this out as a structural issue unless there are other indications present.

The second photo looks like it has occured at the corner of the foundation. It looks similar to what I usually call a "corner pop" and can be caused by the brick that is adhered to the foundation brick ledge having different thermal expansion than the foundation (this is mentioned in the PDF file Barry posted) and stressing against the corner causing the crack. I see this quite commonly. I do list this as an issue as the corner may continue cracking at both sides and, depending on how far back fromthe corner the cracking is, I have seen (not so commonly) where the corner of the foundation will spall or fall off. This may leave the bricks undersupported at the corner which can lead to more cracking or settlement in the brick veneer near the corner.

On the other hand, I have seen where nothing significant ever occurs with this type of cracking. That's my 2 cents based on the photos which, as we all know, are never a substitute for actually seeing issues in person. :D