PDA

View Full Version : Mold Detection Device Feedback

Dave Gootam
03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Hello Experts,

I am working on a proof of concept for a mold kit that detects the three common types of mold (Aspergillus, Penicillium and Stachybotrys). Using this device, an user can detect the mold type right there at the home instead of sending the sample to the lab. Device works on air sampling and/or swab sample within 48 hours, and price will be around $35-$40.

I would like to get feedback on different types of devices out there, and what types of devices are used professionals/inspectors like you. My questions are as follows.

1. When I checked Home Depot or Lowes, the only things out there are $7-10 test kits, and the samples needs to be sent to lab. Do you also use these kits available in retail stores, and send the samples to labs?

2. If you use different kits/devices than available in consumer retail, what are those? Where do you purchase them?

3. Do you see value in device concept I mentioned above?

I apologize if I am asking silly questions. But I really appreciate your time, and would be very grateful for any feedback you offer.

Thanks
Dave.

Ken Rowe
03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Here in Minnesota the Department of Health says don't waste your money on mold testing. If you can see it or smell it, you've got a problem that needs to be addressed. So, it has no value to me.

Phil Brody
03-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Since we are not using antibiotics to correct the condition of mold,the classification is of little value. If there is an appearance of mold that's all that has to be noted.

Raymond Wand
03-19-2012, 05:27 AM
I suggest you read the info at this link.

Indoor Fungal Habits (http://forensic-applications.com/moulds/habits.html)

Scott Patterson
03-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Hello Experts,

I am working on a proof of concept for a mold kit that detects the three common types of mold (Aspergillus, Penicillium and Stachybotrys). Using this device, an user can detect the mold type right there at the home instead of sending the sample to the lab. Device works on air sampling and/or swab sample within 48 hours, and price will be around $35-$40.

I would like to get feedback on different types of devices out there, and what types of devices are used professionals/inspectors like you. My questions are as follows.

1. When I checked Home Depot or Lowes, the only things out there are $7-10 test kits, and the samples needs to be sent to lab. Do you also use these kits available in retail stores, and send the samples to labs?

2. If you use different kits/devices than available in consumer retail, what are those? Where do you purchase them?

3. Do you see value in device concept I mentioned above?

I apologize if I am asking silly questions. But I really appreciate your time, and would be very grateful for any feedback you offer.

Thanks
Dave.

I see little value to such a kit or test.

If you see mold, smell mold then you have mold. Knowing what they species/genius is will not help the situation. Also you have to take into consideration if the mold is viable or not. I'm betting that this kit will only work on a viable sample.

Eric Barker
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I am working on a proof of concept for a mold kit that detects the three common types of mold (Aspergillus, Penicillium and Stachybotrys).

There are thousands of species of mold and people can be sensitive to any number of them. Having a test that's limited to just three would not seem to be of benefit, at least for me.

Phil Brody
03-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Also don't think the HI wants to be liable for correct mold species identification,it's easier and cheaper to just state "what appears to be mold/fungi". If they are curious they can bring in the lab. Although, I'm sure there are homeowners that would buy it - ebay

Michael Thomas
03-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Hum... I'm almost ready to market my $45.00 test kit for jock itch and athletes foot, so you can know just which species of organism you are treating before you go to the drug store!

What? You mean you just *treat* it ???

Phil Houck
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
If you are going to test, three types of mold do not seem enough.
However I am not a IH.
I do have few questions.
Are you a lab or microbiologist?
Is this a "built in the garage" product?
What it the logic for testing for only three types of mold?
Will the results be defensable in court?
Penicillium/Aspergillus is found everywere. Will your test give me a spore count per cubic meter to compare to a control?
Just wondering

Aaron Miller
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
In Texas the testing requires a separate license which entails a testing protocol. Your simplistic approach would be of zero help to an HI here. As others have said, if an HI in Texas sees what looks like mold, the mere statement of that observation fulfills any responsibility on his/her part. It would also be prudent to recommend further investigation by an expert.