PDA

View Full Version : roof condition

John Dirks Jr
03-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Can this mod bit be extended with a coating or would you say it's time for replacement?

They claimed it was only 5 years old. Something is not right with that claim. Could an improper installation procedure be part of the problem?

Jerry Peck
03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
How do you know it is modified bitumen?

I don't know any roofer who would flood coat a modified with asphalt - as I recall, the two are non-compatible materials.

If it is modified bit and that is flood coated with asphalt, the modified bit is already gone.

If it is not modified bit, then what is it and why was it flood coated?

Too many questions, no answers. :)

Joseph Ehrhardt
03-25-2012, 06:42 PM
If that asphalt was poured to build up the roof, its going to crack at a thicjk pour, are you saying the entire roof is like that?

I am finishing inspections on a school roof and where the Tectum roof deck was sagged and JM recomended SeamFree liquid membrane system to build up the low section to push the standing water. This material is applied at 30 mil thickness.

agreed we need more info

John Dirks Jr
03-25-2012, 07:15 PM
The cracks are small but wide spread across the entire surface. Here is a full pic. It's sort of rubberized. It's mod bit, correct? The rolls were about a meter wide. From what I understand, EDPM would be in 10' widths.

Dennis Croughwell
03-26-2012, 01:31 PM
I suggest when taking detail photo's, especially on roofing, it's always good to include a point of reference. The reference can be something as simple as a coin, pen, pencil, etc. This will provide the viewer with some idea of the dimensions in the photo.:confused:

I suspect as the others have said or indicated, it appears that some type of coating has been applied and is cracking. Typical surface deterioration of modified bitumen has the appearance similar to alligator skin.:)

Other than that, any surface deficiency that allows moisture to invade the membrane (or coating) is an unwelcome condition, especially in areas where freeze/thaw conditions exist.:(

Garry Sorrells
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
2 cents worth.
May be 5 years old, meaning it was hot mopped (re-coated) 5 years ago. Does look like it was a heave coating. Baltimore flat roofs look generally worse that the one pictured. Last 40 years my rule of thumb has been, New 3 ply hot tar roof has a 10 year life with a re-coating every 3 years.

The pict seem to have a little to much tar thus creating the large cracking appearance.

John Kogel
03-26-2012, 05:12 PM
The cracks are small but wide spread across the entire surface. Here is a full pic. It's sort of rubberized. It's mod bit, correct? The rolls were about a meter wide. From what I understand, EDPM would be in 10' widths.I think it may have been mod bit or it could have been a traditional hot tar roof, but as others have said, it looks like a coating of hot tar was mopped on, that would be the "new roof", which is now looking poorly.
EPDM is smooth like an inner tube. AFAIK, it can be ordered in a whole variety of widths.

The mod bit I see, what we call 'torch-on', has a granular surface as a rule. Here's a pic of aging mod bit, about 15 years old.

David Stoffer
03-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Can this mod bit be extended with a coating or would you say it's time for replacement?

They claimed it was only 5 years old. Something is not right with that claim. Could an improper installation procedure be part of the problem?

There is no rock or agrgate to protect the flood coat from the sun or weather

Have the roofing contractor tell them what it takes and cost to correct