PDA

View Full Version : odd exterior vent??

Kristi Silber
03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
What the heck is this thing? It's about at floor joist height, and the kitchen is on the other side of the wall. Vent for a downdraft stove or wall oven (both of which are present)? Why is it such an odd shape?

Gunnar Alquist
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
What the heck is this thing? It's about at floor joist height, and the kitchen is on the other side of the wall. Vent for a downdraft stove or wall oven (both of which are present)? Why is it such an odd shape?

Hey, weren't you told not to post here? :cool:

Yes, it looks to me like a termination for a downdraft kitchen fan. As to why that particular design/look, I really don't know Each manufacturer makes its own type and this is one that I see periodically. Gonna have a hard time pushing out air when there is so much debris adjacent to the exhaust.

Jerry McCarthy
03-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Looks like an exterior vent for a downdraft kichen appliance. The leaf debris packed under the vent opening is a nice touch.

Kristi Silber
03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks, guys! Yeah, I noticed the leaves, too. Not much clearance there, it would be hard to keep it clean with with stuff blowing against the building. And what about when it snows? Seems an odd design.

Gunnar, aren't I such a rebel?:cool: I'm not listening to my betters.:rolleyes:

Gunnar Alquist
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Gunnar, aren't I such a rebel?:cool: I'm not listening to my betters.:rolleyes:

Good. I am a bit deaf in that way too.

Jerry Peck
03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
With all those leaves around that exhaust fan, I think it has not been used in quite some time ... either than or it is sucking in air and not exhausting air. :eek:

Kristi Silber
03-28-2012, 08:12 PM
With all those leaves around that exhaust fan, I think it has not been used in quite some time ... either than or it is sucking in air and not exhausting air. :eek:

Right you are. Freshly sold, still vacant.

Gunnar Alquist
03-28-2012, 08:30 PM
So Kristi,

Are you an artist in addition to not being a home inspector? :D

Kristi Silber
03-29-2012, 09:28 AM
So Kristi,

Are you an artist in addition to not being a home inspector? :D

Well, I try! How did you know?