PDA

View Full Version : What type of insulation is this?

Lisa Simkins
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi:

My guess is blown in cellulose but it looks different than the cellulose I've seen before. Maybe some kind of fiberglass?

Also, does fiberglass come in yellow batt or only pink batt? How do you tell mineral rock batt from fiberglass - colour only?

Rick Cantrell
04-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Hi:

My guess is blown in cellulose but it looks different than the cellulose I've seen before. Maybe some kind of fiberglass?

Also, does fiberglass come in yellow batt or only pink batt? How do you tell mineral rock batt from fiberglass - colour only?

Looks like blown fiberglass (with dust)

Batts can be any color
Common colors are pink, yellow, and white
Pink batts are Owens Corning

Chris Weekly
04-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Lisa
That looks like 'Insul-safe' type of blown in insulation. Probably had a roof change - with all the debris that's laying on it.
The mineral wool generally is a gray colored fiberglass insulation - the nasty stuff we hate to crawl through - gets into every pore.
The insul-safe stuff is a non-binder and generally does not cause the itchiness.

Peter Louis
04-14-2012, 12:50 AM
few builders put mineral wool on attic

Chris Weekly
04-20-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree Peter, not anymore. Modern materials are far superior to work with than that old stuff. But I find it occasionally in older homes in attics.

Robert Ernst
04-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Looks like blown fiberglass to me. Batts can come in white, yellow, or pink.

Zane Remenda
05-29-2012, 04:58 AM
Cellulose insulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_insulation)