PDA

View Full Version : Bonding jumper location on Pushmatic Bulldog panel

Michael Thomas
04-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Load-side panel. Labeling was not visible and I could not locate the bonding jumper location.

Anyone know where I should be looking?

Yes, I know panel is obsolescent - whole unit was obsolescent, furnace was a Lenox manufactured in Oct. 1971, oldest operating GFAF (41 years) I've even seen.

Thanks

Jim Port
04-09-2012, 07:50 AM
When you say load side do you mean a non-service panel, ie there is a means of disconnect ahead of this panel?

Do you have a pic of the neutral buss?

Michael Thomas
04-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, this is a load-side panel ("sub-panel").

This is the only portion of the "neutral bus" visible at the panel.

John Kogel
04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Micheal is in Chicago, so we know that all equipment grounding is by way of the conduit, eh?

My guess is that the panel is set up as a suh suh remote panel and no bonding device was ever provided.

Michael Thomas
04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
My guess is that the panel is set up as a suh suh remote panel and no bonding device was ever provided.

Quite possibly - I looked for a bonding jumper/screw and did not find one.

Still I would like to know for certain where it was supposed to be installed on service equipment.

Corey Friedman
04-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Quite possibly - I looked for a bonding jumper/screw and did not find one.

Still I would like to know for certain where it was supposed to be installed on service equipment.

Hi Mike,

The bonding jumper screw in the old Pushmatic of this style are generally between lug 3 and 4 (based on your 1st picture). It will not be green and it tends to blend in. It physically looks different in comparison to the lug connections on the bottom of the bus detail and the single screw (next to the bumped-out stops next to the screws) connections on the bus detail above the lugs. I may have a picture of one, if I do, I'll post it.

Corey

Stephen G
04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
the second photo top breaker allows copper and aluminum...

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
M.T.

This is not service equipment, its MLO. Should be a lock-nut under the bushing at the bottom left to threaded rigid metal conduit, fitting, wireway, etc.. The ground bar bar when installed/present as load side of service equipment would be mounted upon the back wall to the right most starting at a height below the highest breaker and would extend vertically downward. That back wall section is not visible in your photos.

You'll see a grounds bus (painted over) installed at D.F.'s site here: http://inspectapedia.com/electric/Pushmatic_Panels021-DJFs.jpg

Robert Meier
04-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Looks like there is a locknut there.

Jim Port
04-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I agree with Robert, I see the locknut.

Michael Thomas
04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Locknut was (is) there:

Michael Thomas
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Now, I'm wondering what this "yellow button" is...

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not entirely certain, as it has been many years since I've dealt with a Bulldog Electri Center from Detroit, or an early ITE acquisition panel... I'm also recalling main or lighting main switches that weren't actually breakers used in such, but I'm having a foggy morning.However, if I'm remembering correctly, the same componant parts were used in the manufacture of split buss panels from Detroit. If they had been in a split buss or a main switch not CB panel, I'm thinking that would be where the insulated jumpers would pass so as to connect to the split buss(es), making those "buttons" fillers/insulators/isolators and/or guards, they might be nylon (?).Besides replacements being expensive, costly, older types being unavailable except on the unreliable gray market or used; the breakers themselves are limited in their ability to quickly react to an overload condition (trip type). Panel is of a vintage where direct testing was not undertaken to assure ratings (merely calculated based upon a series of later disproven assumptions). Push button operation and assured fully open or fully closed condition even as indicated, is unreliable, lubrication unreliable, and provides ability for unsafe hack work - provides for direct bolting conductors to buss without use of any special tools, etc. even if unintentional.