PDA

View Full Version : Service equipment or not?

Gunnar Alquist
04-09-2012, 07:08 PM
So, I just inspected a rural property. The electrical panel that I would have designated "service equipment" was located adjacent to the driveway. Meter and main disconnect. Neutral/ground are bonded together.

The next panel in the series is in the garage. This also had a disconnect and the neutral/grounds are bonded together. I believe this is incorrect, but wanted to make sure. If I understand it, you can only have one service equipment.

This was a very special property It had an "ace maker", a "suer pump", a "landry" and a "bedroon". Don't find many of those, that's for sure.

Amazing.

Jim Port
04-09-2012, 07:24 PM
The way I understand your description, the garage panel is wrong by having the bond strap installed and the neutrals and grouding conductors mixed on the buss.

Jerry Peck
04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
The way I understand your description, the garage panel is wrong by having the bond strap installed and the neutrals and grouding conductors mixed on the buss.

I agree with Jim, it is also wrong based on the photos, looks like there is a separate grounding wire in with the feeder conductors.

Gunnar Alquist
04-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Jim & Jerry,

Thanks. There is a 4-wire feed from the service equipment and a ufer. But, that would be acceptable, right. It's the neutral/ground that is the problem.

Jim Port
04-10-2012, 05:14 AM
The 4 wire feeder would be correct. The grounds not isolated from the neutrals and the case bonding are the problems.

Robert Meier
04-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Jim & Jerry,

Thanks. There is a 4-wire feed from the service equipment and a ufer. But, that would be acceptable, right. It's the neutral/ground that is the problem.

And the CEE (ufer) needs to end up terminated on the EGC bus not the neutral bus.