PDA

View Full Version : ISLAND NON GFCI OUTLET

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
hey all

doesn't this outlet have to be gfci protected--because you can plug a counter appliance into it and it is within six feet of sink

thanks

cvf

Robert Meier
04-10-2012, 01:30 PM
All receptacles that serve the countertop surface require GFCI protection in a kitchen and it has nothing to do with it's proximity to the sink. Could it be a feed through from some other GFCI device or breaker?

Rick Cantrell
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Outlets that serve a counter top are to be GFCI protected.
I consider that an outlet that serves the counter top, so yes.

CHARLIE VAN FLEET
04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
outlet did not trip a breaker when tested--you told me just what i thought

thanks

cvf

Jerry Peck
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
and it is within six feet of sink

Forget the 'within 6 feet of the kitchen sink' part as that went out in 1987 as I recall.

It is still 'within 6 feet of' a laundry or wet bar sink, though.

Jim Port
04-10-2012, 06:36 PM
outlet did not trip a breaker when tested--you told me just what i thought

thanks

cvf

Was this a GFI breaker? If not the 3 light tester would not trip a regular breaker.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Forget the 'within 6 feet of the kitchen sink' part as that went out in 1987 as I recall.

It is still 'within 6 feet of' a laundry or wet bar sink, though.

I'm remembering it differently.

1987 first requirement for GFCI protection for residential kitchen above-the-countertop receptacles within 6' of kitchen sinks.

1990 expanded requirement to all receptacles within a 6' arc of residential kitchen sinks (above & below countertops).

1993 added residential wet bar sinks, food prep, and similar areas, requiring protection and for the same 6' arc.

1993 First requirement that any receptacle requiring GFCI protection presently, must be provided with gfci protection when replaced.

1996 requirement that all residential kitchen countertop receptacles be GFCI protected, not just those within 6' of a kitchen sink. Kitchen countertop circuits no longer allowed to share an outside outlet.

I'm quite sure that 1987 didn't require all kitchen countertop receptacles be gfci protected. I don't recall the 1984 NEC requiring any gfci protection for the residential kitchen.

Jerry Peck
04-10-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm remembering it differently.

It would probably have helped if I had taken the time to look at my GFCI chart page ... because memory is not always the best thing to rely on ... especially when my GFCI chart is so easy to access.

http://www.constructionlitigationconsultants.com/_GFCI_requirement_page-2011.pdf