PDA

View Full Version : Direct vent flue location

Walker Haglock
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
What do you make of a direct vent PVC flue routed out the side of the home, but located inside of the cold air return? I wrote it up for several reasons, but mainly as a safety hazard. If that PVC joint hidden inside the cold air ever gets compromised, the carbon monoxide and other hot gases go right back into the system for re-distribution throughout the home.

John Arnold
04-13-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/heating-ventilation-air-conditioning-hvac-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/15424-furnace-vent-return-air.html

Garry Blankenship
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
No authority in this area, but I think you did well by your client. The possibility of CO leakage is worthy of advisement, regardless of the codes and the mere presence of PVC inside breathable air chambers is another concern. If it's not a code violation, it should be.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
What do you make of a direct vent PVC flue routed out the side of the home, but located inside of the cold air return? I wrote it up for several reasons, but mainly as a safety hazard. If that PVC joint hidden inside the cold air ever gets compromised, the carbon monoxide and other hot gases go right back into the system for re-distribution throughout the home.

Not permitted. Shall not means no.

M1801.8 Duct penetrations. Chimneys, vents and vent connectors shall not extend into or through supply and return air ducts or plenums.