PDA

View Full Version : Nice job

Frank Bombardiere
09-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I take pics of things that are well done for future reference when someone starts bowing up on me about something being done properly or not. I know there is a double tapped breaker in the panel, but the wiring was one of the neatest I have seen.

Rick Hurst
09-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Dang overspray with the paint on the disconnect. :)

Rick

wayne soper
09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Overspray on the main breaker. I'd say tear the house down around it, Then replace the breaker and blame it all on the broker.

Jerry Peck
09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
And whites used as hots ...

And what about that second breaker down on the left? Is that supposed to be a 120/240/120, or is it supposed to have the outer two tied together like the inner two? Just curious as the color coding on the conductors indicates it might supposed to be tied together on the outer two. Same thing with the third breaker down on the right side too.

I wouldn't use that to show 'this is how it's done' because the agent/whomever might remember it the next time you point out some of those things.

And, if you use it to show to an electrician, he might just start showing you what he sees wrong in there, after you've just said 'this is how it should be done'. Would not make you look good in front of your client.

Frank Bombardiere
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Actually, I was looking only at he neatness of the work. I never said the panel was perfect. However, I did not study the pic and I was not the one that inspected the panel. Looking at it closer now, I see your points. I think the whites you are seeing are black wires that have white paint on them. The other issues you are questioning I assume is the fact that there are red and black wires on 120 sides of the 120/240/120 breakers. I do not do the service panels so I am no electrical wiz by any means. Should there be a common trip tie on the 120 sides with a four wire circuit even though it is not a 240 circuit? I assume these circuits are for a disposal/dishwasher outlet or combination bathroom fan and heater. Educate me, I have not had a chance to ask my partner that inspected the panel about these issues yet as he went on vacation today.

Jerry Peck
09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I think the whites you are seeing are black wires that have white paint on them.

Some are that way, others are white too far for that.

The other issues you are questioning I assume is the fact that there are red and black wires on 120 sides of the 120/240/120 breakers. I do not do the service panels so I am no electrical wiz by any means. Should there be a common trip tie on the 120 sides with a four wire circuit even though it is not a 240 circuit?

No, no tie bar required if they are not 240 volt circuits. I was basing my guess simply on the colors of the conductors used for the center two with the tied together handles and the colors of the conductors used for the outer two which are not tied together.

'Just plain looked like' there should be handle ties, I'd have tried to find out, first by reading what was on the panel circuit director (which most likely simply states 'General Lighting' on all lines :) making it less than useless).