PDA

View Full Version : How not to network.

RobertBowman
04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I was walking back home from an inspections and seen this.

Marc M
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Okay I have to ask...you walk to inspections(?) and if so, where do you keep the ladder when walking?;)

Garry Sorrells
04-19-2012, 03:42 AM
On his shoulder. Unless it is one of the newest folding ladders that go into your pocket.

RobertBowman
04-19-2012, 06:45 AM
This was an property inspection for insurance. No ladder required for this one and it was about 150 yards away from my apartment. This is also a County building across the alley from the main building.

Kristi Silber
04-19-2012, 05:13 PM
You do inspections for insurance? Who do you work for, if I may ask? You're an HI as well?

Rich Goeken
04-20-2012, 02:44 AM
You do inspections for insurance? Who do you work for, if I may ask? You're an HI as well?
Down Kristi... down! :D

Rich Goeken
04-20-2012, 02:50 AM
It's interesting to see that it appears to be 3 phone lines and cable. Now I know the cable installers will do almost anything to get the cable installed, but I am surprised at the phone company. Wonder how a good fire to take the winter chill out affects transmission.

Patricia Kaiser
04-20-2012, 08:21 AM
All those lines to the chimney - whew! Isn't there some code or reg that prevents such jerrybuilding?

Garry Blankenship
04-20-2012, 08:29 AM
All those lines to the chimney - whew! Isn't there some code or reg that prevents such jerrybuilding?

Yes. A number of violations there, but code enforcement agencys do not go searching for work. If they did, their jobs would be 24/7.

RobertBowman
04-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Yep those are cables going down the chimney. I'm thinking of becoming a fire inspector for the town i live in and they do go looking for work. Just the building inspectors don't unless they get a complaint.

Jim Kasterko
04-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Is doing both an issue in MN or a conflict of onterest?

RobertBowman
04-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Nope no issue, JMI Reports.

Is doing both an issue in MN or a conflict of onterest?

Kristi Silber
04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Not a conflict of interest in MN either :) ...in fact, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. The clients and situations are different, though I suppose it's possible to inspect a house for a buyer, then come back after purchase and inspect the same house for an insurance company. However, in that situation I'd make the buyer aware of any potential insurance hassles before they bought the house.

Are there codes for how cable and phone lines are attached to a house, or is the problem here a generic one of having cables going down a chimney?

Billy Stephens
04-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Appearance of UNAUTHORIZED service usage.

RobertBowman
04-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Normally according to NEC they should be ran and fastened properly or ran through conduit.

Not a conflict of interest in MN either :) ...in fact, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. The clients and situations are different, though I suppose it's possible to inspect a house for a buyer, then come back after purchase and inspect the same house for an insurance company. However, in that situation I'd make the buyer aware of any potential insurance hassles before they bought the house.

Are there codes for how cable and phone lines are attached to a house, or is the problem here a generic one of having cables going down a chimney?

RobertBowman
04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
No it's legit. County building tho. That surprises me.

Appearance of UNAUTHORIZED service usage.

Igor Plar
05-03-2012, 05:54 PM
nice wiring