PDA

View Full Version : Electrical wires on soffits.

Eli Smith
04-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi,

Is there anything wrong with fixing the electrical wires to the soffits?

Raymond Wand
04-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Use to be very typical on older housing before the use of aluminum soffit and fascia.
That set up was likely from the late 1940's to 1950's.

In the photos above I would call it out because of the close fraying cabling in proximity to the aluminum. It may only take a good wind to possibly cause the wires to touch the aluminum.

For my liking I would call for an upgrade.

Stephen G
04-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Eli, perhaps you cold narrow down your location, Canada, as we all know is pretty big...

Steve from Canada :D :D

Hi,

Is there anything wrong with fixing the electrical wires to the soffits?

Garry Blankenship
04-21-2012, 08:56 AM
There was a time when anything "outside" the building was considered utility company domain. Utilities police themselves and local inspectors looked the other way. However; it's a very old precedent that predates metal, ( conductive ), soffits & gutters. In this case I'd say it's a hazard and red flag it. The mast being part in and part out of the siding is illegal. That three spool block the utility strike initially hits is bolted to a structural member probably not adequate for that purpose. Unfused wires so close to conductive material is a hazard.

John Kogel
04-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Right. That is a serious shock hazard for anyone working on a ladder, cleaning the gutter or breaking up an ice dam, for example. Nowadays, the homeowner would be held responsible for not having the service mast upgraded.

Eric Barker
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I've never seen that set up around here - I wouldn't be comfortable ignoring it.

Eli Smith
04-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks everyone.