PDA

View Full Version : Recognize this nozzle on a wall?

John Kogel
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM
The center portion is white plastic, square with 4 smaller orifices. The outer housing has a firehose-style clip to accept a hose of some sort. The previous owner might have been a mechanic or bodyman. Not access for an interior view of this thing, and no sign of another pipe inside. Is it for compressed air?

Benjamin Thompson
04-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Termite treatment system for injecting borates into the wall cavities?

Garry Blankenship
04-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I'd have to surf the web to know exactly, but it is an electrical receptacle of significant amperage, ( 40 to 60 amp prox ). They are most commonly used for welder receptacles. Cannot tell if it is a three of four wire device from the photo. These have a spring loaded covering cap that appears broken off this device.

Garry Sorrells
04-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Exterior cap was probably broken at by same thing that broke the conduit nest to it.

Do vote for a electric welder connection.

Duane Nelson
04-25-2012, 06:27 AM
I agree with the two Garry's, but have also seen them used for an RV.

John Kogel
04-25-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks, guys. The welder hookup makes sense. There are some unidentified breakers turned off in the panel.

Garry Sorrells
04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
John,
If it was a welder look for a 240v - 30 or 50 amp double breaker.
Did you test to see if it was hot?

Gunnar Alquist
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
John,
If it was a welder look for a 240v - 30 or 50 amp double breaker.
Did you test to see if it was hot?

Not likely if he thought it was a water nozzle. :cool:

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Could it be an older breather vent termination from a regulator or was there formerly a fuel storage tank on the property?

Looks like damaged raceway containing exposed wire to the left.

Stephen G
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
It looks like a 'Hubble' Box connector. Welder or generator port.

Corey Friedman
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Hello All,

This is an electrical connector called pin-and-sleeve. Hubbell is but one of many manufacturers that make this. Being that it is on a house, a welder or backfed generator is a good guess.

These are used in all kinds of applications from factories and docks to touring stage shows and concerts.

Can't tell what size (amperage) from the pix.

Corey

John Kogel
04-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Not likely if he thought it was a water nozzle. :cool:Yes, Gunnar, I did think nozzle, so I didn't test for 240 volts. It looked familiar but it didn't click. I went home with nozzle on my brain, posted it, then woke up thinking, 4 holes, it's a socket.
It would have tested dead anyway, because I believe the breaker was off. 40 amp supply for a welder, receptacle probably salvaged from a pulp mill or sawmill.
The cap is broken off, as Garry astutely pointed out.