PDA

View Full Version : Penicillum Mold on Attic Roof decking

Susie Smith
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Can anyone tell me how to clean penicillum mold off my attic roof decking?

Rick Cantrell
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
The EPA has some information that is useful without all the scare tactics others try.

Cleanup Guidelines | A Brief Guide to Mold | US Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov/mold/cleanupguidelines.html)

Benjamin Thompson
04-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Can anyone tell me how to clean penicillum mold off my attic roof decking?
That sounds like good mold to me, why would you want to get rid of it??
How did you manage to identify the genera?

Susie Smith
04-29-2012, 08:24 AM
We bought a test kit from Lowe's and sent it to the lab-

Eric Barker
04-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Before removing it you should be asking why it is there and tackle the cause.

Susie Smith
04-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, thank you Eric. The attic was not properly ventilated-so we have added vents and sprayed peroxide on it-but now we need to clean it off somehow. I have enclosed a photo

Jerry Peck
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
and sprayed peroxide on it-but now we need to clean it off somehow.

Why do you need to clean it off somehow?

Have you had everyone in your family tested and found that a family member is allergic to it?

Or is it a result of the old and faded "Mold is Gold" mania which went around a number of years ago, which is mostly faded out now that the lawyers have sucked most of the money out of it, and most of what was left by the lawyers was sucked out by the "Mold is Gold" 'certified' (by virtue of a 4 hour course) 'mold inspectors'?

Nick Ostrowski
04-29-2012, 06:18 PM
The mold-mania is still alive and well around here. Nobody wants to hear that a house has it and for good reason. It will sink your resale value if you just accept it and live with it because future buyers won't want to deal with it.

If you have plans to sell in the future, it would be in your best selling interests to remove it. There are many who will pooh-pooh the whole mold thing and I do think it can be a bit overblown. But, the media has created such a doom-and-gloom air about the word "mold". It's more than I can hope to overcome during the course of a 3-4 hour home inspection so I just give people information, things to think about, and let them make the decision.

Susie Smith
04-30-2012, 03:28 AM
I am putting the house up for sale and I am sure with the mold scare it would be an issue. The mold boogeyman!