PDA

View Full Version : What is this in the basement

Terry Choi
04-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I have found this in the basement. Can anyone let me know what this is for?

Benjamin Thompson
04-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) put those in basement floors from the mid 80's to late 90's. They are essentially monitoring devices. I don't know if they are still active or not but would assume so if I were living there. Be very careful what you say and who you associate with.

Richard Skalski
04-28-2012, 06:17 AM
It's kinda hard to say. How close is this in relation to other water/sewage/drainage piping? It could be a backwater valve, something for radon mitigation, a clean out, a drain covered with a plug to prevent sewage backup, or a government listening device.

Bruce Ramsey
04-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Looks like spagetti to me.

Robert Schenck
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
My take on this is ... Benjamin is paranoid, Richard is sort a kind a possibly real close to being correct in his guess as to what it might be, and Bruce ... well - he sounds hungry. My edumicated guess is that it's a P-trap (clean out) ?? If not a P-trap, then hidden switches. One going to the gates of the Lake of Fire and the other one going to the Pearly Gates !! :p

Raymond Wand
04-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Clean out ports (for snaking out) for waste line going to municipal sewers.

Benjamin Thompson
04-29-2012, 08:51 PM
My take on this is ... Benjamin is paranoid, Richard is sort a kind a possibly real close to being correct in his guess as to what it might be, and Bruce ... well - he sounds hungry. My edumicated guess is that it's a P-trap (clean out) ?? If not a P-trap, then hidden switches. One going to the gates of the Lake of Fire and the other one going to the Pearly Gates !! :p

Is it paranoia if they really are after you?:)

Scott Cook
04-30-2012, 02:54 AM
It appears to be a double clean out for snaking the main sewer in both directions. They are usually seen with a "house trap" which is a running trap required in many cities.

Dana Bostick
04-30-2012, 06:09 AM
I have found this in the basement. Can anyone let me know what this is for?

NICE INSPECTION SHOES! VERY STYLISH. :D

Dom D'Agostino
04-30-2012, 06:43 AM
Like Raymond said, clean-out for main drain line.

See picture for cut-away view:

Paul Scrivner
04-30-2012, 07:13 AM
I see an answer was found, but only looked for the shoes....funny.

John Kogel
04-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Re: the shoes remark, do you check the soles of your cowboy boots for dog shet before you go inside?

Slippers for inside, good idea, and proper etiquette in many homes.

Dom, thanks for posting a pic.

mike huntzinger
04-30-2012, 07:32 AM
sometimes you will find propane drains down in basements

Dana Bostick
04-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Re: the shoes remark, do you check the soles of your cowboy boots for dog shet before you go inside?

Slippers for inside, good idea, and proper etiquette in many homes.

Dom, thanks for posting a pic.

No cowboy boots here, only flip flops. this is California ya know! Gotta fit in. ;)

Marc Morin
04-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Absolutely...slippers or sandals are best for many reasons, who doesn't know that!

cuba_pete
04-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Looks like spagetti to me.
I agree...the arrow is clearly point directly at a piece of "spaghetti", in this case, Sermicelli or Spaghetti Rigati (due to the coloration, indicating a higher semolina density which provides richer flavor and texture).

Otherwise...yeah, those are cleanouts.

cuba_pete
04-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Absolutely...slippers or sandals are best for many reasons, who doesn't know that!
Oh yeah! Electrical safety sandals are all the rage nowadays! Knob and tube approved.

The EMT's will be able to find you more easily due to the your reflective arc-flash pants, though.

Lisa Simkins
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
My first thought was cleanouts. I liked the CSIS theory though. As for the flip flops - they are not rated for pop tops, or you may end up wasting away in Margaritaville. Seriously, indoors I wear electrically rated safety shoes that stay inside.

Don Hester
04-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Since we are stalking shoes I use those nice comfy deck shoes.

Easy in easy out and kinda stylish if I do say so myself:D

Terry Choi
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone...

Looks like the answer was found. Thanks Dom for the pic. You guys look sooooo funny...^^ spaghetti... sandals...

The guy who has the sandal is my client. I always use another comfort safety boots for indoor as well.

Anyway I like this place and your guys.

Thank you so much !!!