PDA

View Full Version : Jumper in panel

mathew stouffer
05-02-2012, 06:09 AM
House built in the Late 70's. This is the service disconnect/ distribution panel on the exterior. This has been kicked around before. I don't have a clear understanding if this is correct and the purpose for the jumper.

Stephen G
05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Just had one monday. An 8AWG cable was run from the main to a sub. The breaker in the sub was 100amp; the breaker in the main was 20amp. The 8awg wont screw down in the 20amp breaker, so they pigtailed it with 12awg to fit.
Called it and everything else out, sparky will be making a house call.

House built in the Late 70's. This is the service disconnect/ distribution panel on the exterior. This has been kicked around before. I don't have a clear understanding if this is correct and the purpose for the jumper.

John Kogel
05-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Mathew, do you mean the black jumper connecting the 2 terminals on the GFI breaker? I don't know.

Do you mean the jumper on the neutrals? Sure, he's reducing the size of the neutral so that both are equal in size at the breaker.

John Kogel
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Just had one monday. An 8AWG cable was run from the main to a sub. The breaker in the sub was 100amp; the breaker in the main was 20amp. The 8awg wont screw down in the 20amp breaker, so they pigtailed it with 12awg to fit.
Called it and everything else out, sparky will be making a house call.That might be OK, if the correct connector was used at the jumper. It is a 20 amp su su remote panel with a large disconnect switch.

Rollie Meyers
05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Early ITE GFCI circuit breakers did not have a lug for the neutral, one had to use a wire connector to connect the neutral, not sure of what am seeing with the red conductor.

Garry Blankenship
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I assume you talking about that C/B jumper wire. Too much value added effort for a H.I., but you could research that GFI C/B by mfg & date and possibly determine how it is correctly terminated. My recommendation would be to test the GFI test button. If it trips and resets, I'd still question the appearence of the terminations for referral to a pro.

Jim Port
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Might be part of the GFI breaker circuitry. Early Cutler-Hammer had a similar jumper.

Robert Meier
05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Might be part of the GFI breaker circuitry. Early Cutler-Hammer had a similar jumper.

My thought as well, looks to be integral to the construction of the CB.

mathew stouffer
05-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The black jumper on the GFCI breaker. The breaker tripped with tested at the outlet. Just was not clear why this is installed an if it is acceptable.

Jim Port
05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Like Robert and I said, it may be part of the breaker.