PDA

View Full Version : AHJ missed it

Ken Rowe
05-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I did a buyer's inspection today after the AHJ went through the house doing a mandatory "safety" inspection which is supposed to include verifying permits and proper installation of the water heater. He called out some electrical issues but nothing with the water heater.

Category IV tankless water heater connected to the Category I (B) furnace vent. No gas shut off, no water shut off, no TPR valve.

The buyers and I went to the city hall and spoke with the inspector. Showed him the pictures and he flagged it for mandatory repair without even going back to the house. :D

Nick Ostrowski
05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Sounds like somebody needs a new line of work.

Jim Robinson
05-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I didn't know MN was now hiring inspectors from our area. Maybe they got their initials backwards and ended up in the wrong state.

Ken Rowe
05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Actually he was very gracious and admitted he missed it due to the other problems he was seeing in the adjacent bathroom. But since these aren't "safety issues" he wasn't allowed to comment on them.

Garry Blankenship
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Let he who has never missed anything cast the first stone. Not an excuse, but AHJ s have tight schedules, bad days, kids, soccer games, spouses etc. - - - also.

Benjamin Thompson
05-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Let he who has never missed anything cast the first stone. Not an excuse, but AHJ s have tight schedules, bad days, kids, soccer games, spouses etc. - - - also.

Not to mention no liability and a government job.

Aaron Arjes
05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Looks like the copper line is touching the ducting.

Matt Fellman
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Not to mention no liability and a government job.

X2.... it's amazing how things change when there's no personal liability. I do agree that people miss things, etc, etc. But as HIs our butts are on the line everyday. There's no "sleep walking" through an inspection.

Eric Barker
05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
But since these aren't "safety issues" he wasn't allowed to comment on them.

AHJ inspectors can have a real heavy work load and they basically only have time for the "safety" stuff. Of course I don't think that that is disclosed anywhere in the course of pulling a permit.

Jerry Peck
05-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Actually he was very gracious and admitted he missed it due to the other problems he was seeing in the adjacent bathroom. But since these aren't "safety issues" he wasn't allowed to comment on them.

One of the "missed it" items is the lack of clearance at that toilet, right? :)

Ken Rowe
05-03-2012, 08:28 PM
One of the "missed it" items is the lack of clearance at that toilet, right? :)

Nope, he saw it, but his inspection was limited to "safety" issues, so he couldn't comment on it, even though it's wrong.

Jim Robinson
05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Guys (and gals) , the things that the AHJ misses all across the country are one of the reasons that we have these jobs.

Nick Ostrowski
05-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Guys (and gals) , the things that the AHJ misses all across the country are one of the reasons that we have these jobs.

Job security.

Wayne Carlisle
05-04-2012, 08:37 AM
You guys are just mad because yall have to work for a living! :)