PDA

View Full Version : what is this?

Mark Krajcar
05-06-2012, 10:56 AM
White powdery stuff on the cold water copper pipe. My guess is that is mineral deposits from a tiny leak at the joint.

Rick Cantrell
05-06-2012, 11:13 AM
White powdery stuff on the cold water copper pipe. My guess is that is mineral deposits from a tiny leak at the joint.

Likely, yes

John Kogel
05-06-2012, 11:57 AM
The cheap brass fitting probably has a pinhole in the casting there.

Mark Krajcar
05-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Thank you for the redponses!

Lon Henderson
05-07-2012, 07:08 AM
I see this constantly around here. Water is "eating" its way out from the inside off the valve. In the past when I was trying to figure out how big a problem these were, I would knock the blisters off. Several times, water started dripping out. It can take many years for these blisters to finally start leaking, but they are still ticking timebombs even if slow ones.

Craig Barr
05-07-2012, 07:17 AM
When I see these, the brass fitting was probably made in China. I have seen more failures in brass fittings from China than Carter has pills. Spend the extra 50 cents and get one made in America

I see this constantly around here. Water is "eating" its way out from the inside off the valve. In the past when I was trying to figure out how big a problem these were, I would knock the blisters off. Several times, water started dripping out. It can take many years for these blisters to finally start leaking, but they are still ticking timebombs even if slow ones.

Jim Hintz
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
When I see these, the brass fitting was probably made in China. I have seen more failures in brass fittings from China than Carter has pills. Spend the extra 50 cents and get one made in America Better explain who "Carter" is Craig, there's lots of young'uns on here ! :D

Rod Butler
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
. . . . but they are still ticking timebombs even if slow ones.

Time-bomb may be a bit harsh. :D