PDA

View Full Version : Drop Ceiling Over Tub

John Allingham
05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Why do builders typically drop the ceiling over a tub/shower? There's nothing in that bulk-head as far as I know.

Jim Robinson
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Bathtub in the upper floor bathroom?

John Allingham
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Bathtub in the upper floor bathroom?

Yes it is.

Jim Robinson
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I meant is there a bathroom above this one? That would explain the drop soffit. If this is on the top floor, then I have no idea why they would do that.

John Allingham
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
It's almost all two storey homes around here and the tub is always on the top floor. There must be some reason they drop the ceiling other than just to save a few tiles.

Jim Luttrall
05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Just the style and customary way of doing things. Very common on older homes here but not so much on new construction where high ceilings are the rule.

Jerry Peck
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Just the style and customary way of doing things. Very common on older homes here but not so much on new construction where high ceilings are the rule.

Yep.

For some reason the builders used to place soffits over sinks and over tub, both have gone out of favor as people enjoy the height of the higher ceilings - gives added size to the bathrooms.

Also used to install soffits over kitchen cabinets, but that is typically a thing of the past too.

Besides adding to the visual height of the rooms, kitchens and baths, ... it is a LOT CHEAPER to not build the soffits. :)

Jim Luttrall
05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
It is also a big enery as well as fire stopping issue on most of the homes I have seen. The dropped ceiling when viewed from the attic breaks the continuity of the air boundry as well as thermal envelope.

John Kogel
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
It is also a big enery as well as fire stopping issue on most of the homes I have seen. The dropped ceiling when viewed from the attic breaks the continuity of the air boundry as well as thermal envelope.Yeah. don't you hate those mantraps in the attic? :D