PDA

View Full Version : why double lugged neutrals may not be so good

Don Hester
05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
We see them all the time but here is an example of why it is not that good of an idea.

I call this out way too often.

cuba_pete
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
We see them all the time but here is an example of why it is not that good of an idea.

Pix like these are good to add to "that folder" on my computer.

Do you happen to know the branch rating for that neutral? What was the rating for the panel? Is that 12 or 14 AWG?

Don Hester
05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
It was a 12 ga on a 20 amp.

Bert de Haan
05-11-2012, 04:14 PM

Do you mind explaining why that happened Don? I thought the problem with double lugged neutrals was more related to not being able to disconnect the one without the other.
Thanks

Don Hester
05-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Do you mind explaining why that happened Don? I thought the problem with double lugged neutrals was more related to not being able to disconnect the one without the other.
Thanks

Hard to say exactly but my best guess it that when you double lug you do not have proper torque/connection, then you have a heavy return current on the neutral the resistance causes the neutral to over heat.

I see the same thing on those darn back stabbed receptacles.

Just a lack of proper contact.

I am speculating a bit. But none of the un-grounded conductors had an issue.

Lou Romano
05-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Why are these neutral conductors tied down on what appears to be a ground bar? Is this in the main panel where they are bonded together or did someone land them in the wrong place? A wider view of the panel would be nice.

Speedy Petey
05-12-2012, 10:38 AM
IMO this is NOT a prime example of why not to "double lug" neutrals. I have seen this just as much, if not more, from individual neutrals.

While the dreaded "double tapping" neutrals is not code complaint, it is NOT the evil dastardly thing most folks make it out to be.

The only reason not to double tap is because it is a code violation. Simple as that.

Lou Romano
05-12-2012, 10:42 AM
IMO this is NOT a prime example of why not to "double lug" neutrals. I have seen this just as much, if not more, from individual neutrals.

While the dreaded "double tapping" neutrals is not code complaint, it is NOT the evil dastardly thing most folks make it out to be.

The only reason not to double tap is because it is a code violation. Simple as that.

I agree!

Don Hester
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Speedy, While I agree this not an evil thing (on the scale of evil ; ). Is it not the reason that is not allowed is the lug here is not designed for multiple grounded conductors and may not have proper contact that will increase resistance. Just saying ; )

Granted you can do this even without double lugging.

And like most here we see this all the time without ill effect.

Don Hester
05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
FYI- I really never make a big deal out of this. I tell my clients that though it was never an approved method it was/is very common.

That can be said about many things in a panel.

Robert Meier
05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
FYI- I really never make a big deal out of this. I tell my clients that though it was never an approved method it was/is very common.

That can be said about many things in a panel.

IMO it should be a big deal. If that neutral is from a MWBC and suddenly 200 volts ends up on the new 65" TV there will really be a problem. :)

Jim Port
05-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I think the reason posted by Robert is probably one of the best reasons, outside of the code, to not do this.

Don Hester
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
In this scenario there was no MWBC, that would of been a different beast.

I do see this quite often with no ill effect. It is not compliant so I make the call.