PDA

View Full Version : I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...

Gene South
05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...Can you imagine the rain run-off this meter is going to see ?

John Kogel
05-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Texas, it don't rain there. If it did, y'all would have gutters on a roof like that. :D

I agree, it's a stupid installation, and it was all laid out by an educated professional, no doubt.

Jerry Peck
05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
That needs a kick-out flashing anyway, so that would kick the water out to the front of the meter ...

Yeah ... stupid is as stupid does ... the simple solution is to install a length of gutter there and dump the water further to the right ... but beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.

Benjamin Thompson
05-10-2012, 09:18 PM
As an aside, that is a bizarre looking house!
with that lack of overhang I would gutter everything.

John Kogel
05-10-2012, 09:24 PM
As an aside, that is a bizarre looking house!It's a good house for a dude that wears a ten gallon hat.

Rich Goeken
05-11-2012, 04:25 AM
I know electric meters are designed for outside weather....but...Can you imagine the rain run-off this meter is going to see ?
Gene, do you have to climb over the AC condenser to read the meter? Looks like it in the picture.

Gene South
05-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Rich, no. There is enough room.

Jim Luttrall
05-11-2012, 06:01 AM
Tbut beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.
References?

EmmanuelScanlan
05-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Did you write it up in your report? If so how did you word it?

Wayne Carlisle
05-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Is this a problem?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148/1822929/21448713/384354904.jpg

Dave Hill
05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Is this a problem?

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL148/1822929/21448713/384354904.jpg

Wow! That's an accident waiting to happen. Yikes!

Jerry Peck
05-11-2012, 05:31 PM
References?

Every installation instruction I have read over the past 20+ years.

Mark Hagenlock
05-11-2012, 07:55 PM
was there more attic venting than what I can see? 3'?

Lou Romano
05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Hmmm....do they not require the use of connectors to terminate conduit in Texas? If so, where is it in the OP's pic? The downpipe appears to just butt into the meter enclosure?

Garry Blankenship
05-12-2012, 12:44 PM
That's a great Murphy's law thing. Maybe no code section to quote, but common sense has gotta have some sway. Cannot tell from that third photo, but the compressor looks very close to the meter. Should be 30", (?), I believe. A second Murphy's law application - - - back side of legs touching metallic equipment or butt on, while opening a box w/ unfused wire - - - then add some rain to that and bring to a boil.

Gene South
05-12-2012, 12:58 PM
The angle of the photo looks like the condenser is close but actually it is about 5 feet away. If you look close you can see a window that is between the two. Hard to tell in the photo I know.

Speedy Petey
05-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I really think sometimes some folks make way more out of things than they are.

That is a flat gable there. It's not a valley. Sure some water will flow off the roof, but not what some here are making it out to be.
Also, this is TX, how much does it possibly rain??
I'd bet that sees as much or less rain than the gable end of any home in the Northwest, or even Northeast. Besides, IT IS MADE for direct exposure to weather.

If this were written up, what could you POSSIBLY say about it from a technical standpoint? And what would you propose as the solution?
Or would you just say "The lazy incompetent contractor should not have done this.'

Jerry Peck
05-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Besides, IT IS MADE for direct exposure to weather.

Correct.

AND the people WHO MADE it SPECIFICALLY STATE NOT TO ALLOW roof runoff on the top of it.

So, do you believe the people who made it for direct exposure and not believe them when they tell you not to locate it under roof runoff?

Seems kind of selective in your thinking there.

The new Ford Mustang Carol Shelby designed which goes 200 mph ... you think Ford really expects you to drive it that fast? You think they will honor the warranty if you blow the engine at 200 mph? I suspect there will be something in there about that not being covered, maybe something like 'unless where withing the legal speed limits', and that would be on the race track, and, of course, *racing* violates the warranty. :D

Jim Port
05-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Could someone please post a link that states the socket cannot be under runoff from a roof?

Speedy Petey
05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
AND the people WHO MADE it SPECIFICALLY STATE NOT TO ALLOW roof runoff on the top of it."Pics or it didn't happen."

I'll believe this when I see it in official writing.

Jerry Peck
05-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Could someone please post a link that states the socket cannot be under runoff from a roof?

Jim,

The "not under the roof runoff" is regarding the air conditioner condenser unit, not the meter can - in case you thought the meter can was being referenced as related to the roof runoff discussion.

Jim Port
05-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, I thought that was about the meter can.

Speedy Petey
05-13-2012, 05:29 AM
Yes, I thought that was about the meter can.Me too. Maybe the title of the thread threw me off. ;)

Jerry Peck
05-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Me too. Maybe the title of the thread threw me off. ;)

Yes, I thought that was about the meter can.

For your reading pleasure ... I added bold and underlining for the applicable portion.

That needs a kick-out flashing anyway, so that would kick the water out to the front of the meter ...

Yeah ... stupid is as stupid does ... the simple solution is to install a length of gutter there and dump the water further to the right ... but beyond where that a/c condenser is located as it is not allowed to have roof runoff on it.

:)

Robert Pike
05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Come on guys, use some common sense. You don't need to(or should) quote code issues.

Jerry Peck
05-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Come on guys, use some common sense. You don't need to(or should) quote code issues.

Robert,

Come on now, use some common sense. There is NO REASON NOT to quote code (except for those HIs in states which prohibit quoting code, but there is usually a way around that), after all, the house was constructed to code ... or at least is SHOULD have been constructed to code, so you ought to know at least some of what you are looking at.