PDA

View Full Version : window bars at bathtub

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I've never seen this before - non-safety glazing next to the bathtub, with bars.
Assuming the bars are strong enough, I guess this is ok, eh?

Mark Hagenlock
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I would say, Not.

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
I would say, Not.

Thanks Mark.
Would you care to elaborate?

Mark Hagenlock
05-17-2012, 12:35 PM
As you mentioned this is a safety glass area. What's shown in the photo, is in my opinion
still unsafe. Someone who slips and falls may not go all the way out the window. But could still be swimming with shards.

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
As you mentioned this is a safety glass area. What's shown in the photo, is in my opinion
still unsafe. Someone who slips and falls may not go all the way out the window. But could still be swimming with shards.

I agree with you, but don't think I could support that opinion with code.

Alton Darty
05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree with you, but don't think I could support that opinion with code.

Don't have access to specific code citation at this minute but I believe that the intent here is protection from large shards of glass and not falling out the opening.

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Don't have access to specific code citation at this minute but I believe that the intent here is protection from large shards of glass and not falling out the opening.

Hmmm. Now that I read the 2006 IRC again, it appears that the exception when you have bars may not apply to windows next to tubs.

Alton Darty
05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Try this one.

2003 IRC
R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of tempered glazing:

- 5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface.

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Try this one.

2003 IRC
R308.4 Hazardous locations. The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of tempered glazing:

- 5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface.

Right. Then, further along, it says that there's an exception if a proper bar is installed, which is why I thought it was ok. But now that I look again, that doesn't appear to apply to tubs. Thanks.

Alton Darty
05-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Right. Then, further along, it says that there's an exception if a proper bar is installed, which is why I thought it was ok. But now that I look again, that doesn't appear to apply to tubs. Thanks.

No problem. I keep the safetyglass.pdf file on my phone, along with a bunch of others, in case there is a question. It has come in handy several times. Also need to credit the source for the file

http://www.arnonebuilding.com/saftyglass.pdf

Several good examples of issues that come up on decks, stairs, railings and the safety glazing are to be found there.

Mark Hagenlock
05-17-2012, 03:17 PM
John,
There is a list of exemptions. 1 of them has to do with the photo you presented. There are parameters which need to be met in order to allow the exemption. I don't think you could verify them if you were not the installer. Bar supports 50 # psf. Fasteners are equal to the task. If the fasteners go through the jamb is there solid material through to the framing. I'm new to this. It appears to be an obvious safety concern to me. Are we supposed to only act or give our thoughts on code compliance.
I do not mean that last question in a smart alec tone.

Jerry Peck
05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
There are exemptions from having to have safety glass in *some* specific locations, and one of the exemptions is to have a permanent barrier between the glazing and the person, but ... but there are *NO* exemptions regarding that location at tubs and showers.

Alton Darty
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
John,
There is a list of exemptions. 1 of them has to do with the photo you presented. There are parameters which need to be met in order to allow the exemption. I don't think you could verify them if you were not the installer. Bar supports 50 # psf. Fasteners are equal to the task. If the fasteners go through the jamb is there solid material through to the framing. I'm new to this. It appears to be an obvious safety concern to me. Are we supposed to only act or give our thoughts on code compliance.
I do not mean that last question in a smart alec tone.

Looking in 2006 IRC and I can't find an exception to 308.4 item 5, which contains the rule concerning the glazing at tubs and showers. Different version of IRC or am I just missing it? The exception you listed is for 308.4 items 7 and 10. Item 7 actually excludes the tubs & showers from the exception, and item 10 is for stairways ramps and walking surfaces

John Arnold
05-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Looking in 2006 IRC and I can't find an exception to 308.4 item 5, which contains the rule concerning the glazing at tubs and showers. Different version of IRC or am I just missing it? The exception you listed is for 308.4 items 7 and 10. Item 7 actually excludes the tubs & showers from the exception, and item 10 is for stairways ramps and walking surfaces

You are correct. I need to read more carefully.

Mark Hagenlock
05-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks Mr. Peck

Mark Hagenlock
05-17-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm afraid I got a bit of tunnel vision about the compliance bit with the bar and let the location go. Pardon me.