PDA

View Full Version : Panel on Floor

Ken Amelin
05-22-2012, 04:25 AM
This panel is surface mounted on the wall at floor level.
I couldn't open the cover because the rug blocks the screws, and I'm aware of accessibility in front BUT - Does a panel have a minum mounting height requirement?

Eric Barker
05-22-2012, 05:01 AM
Does a panel have a minimum mounting height requirement?

No it doesn't.

Markus Keller
05-22-2012, 07:15 AM
We've had this height discussion before. I thought it had been determined there was no minimum height but there was a max height. Also I vaguely remember a discussion about working around the minimum height by citing sufficient accessibility ... I'm sure someone with a better brain will have the answers ... Jerry?
Did you check the addition structure, etc.? My guess is the panel used to be fine until they built the addition and didn't move it.

Welmoed Sisson
05-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Wow, that would scare me... especially since it looks like it's in a kid's room? How could it be safe?

Robert Meier
05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
There is no minimum height requirement providing that one can remove the cover and access the panelboard. You might argue that it's within the vicinity of easily ignitable material if the carpet is easily ignitable.

240.24 Location in or on Premises.
(D) Not in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. Overcurrent
devices shall not be located in the vicinity of easily
ignitible material, such as in clothes closets.

Jerry Peck
05-22-2012, 08:58 PM
There is no minimum height requirement providing that one can remove the cover and access the panelboard. You might argue that it's within the vicinity of easily ignitable material if the carpet is easily ignitable.

"providing that one can remove the cover and access the panelboard"

That is the minimum height.

I also like the argument about easily ignitable material, especially as we all know that some of carpet could get caught between the cover and the enclosure and be in the panel. Of course, though, that argument would go away when the panel is raised enough so the cover can be removed and the panel made fully accessible.