PDA

View Full Version : Vertical crack above garage up to window

R Sheeler
05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
I have a house that is less than 3 years old and there is a vertical crack running from garage door up to window above garage. Is this usually a structural issue?

My real estate agent put me with a private builder and he gave us a one year warranty but nothing about a structural warranty. I am in Kentucky if that matters.

John Kogel
05-31-2012, 08:05 PM
You need to tell us if your house is built from sticks, straw or bricks. :D

Take a few pics, reduce them to 640 x 480 pixels or similar and post them here.
If it is bricks, is it brick veneer? What is the structure behind the brick? Is the garage on a slab? Is there a steel lintel above the garage door, holding the bricks up?

A one year warranty on a new house is a sick joke, BTW. Homeowners in your county should stop buying new houses until builders start backing up their products.
The standard warranty here is 1 year for parts and labor, 5 years for building envelope and 10 years for the structure.

Markus Keller
05-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Probably a bad header over the garage door. Close the door, look at the header. Is it cracked, bowed are warped? Is it wood lumber or an engineered LVL, 1 car or 2 car?

Eric Barker
06-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Need more info - is the crack inside or outside? Is is a straight vertical crack on drywall, stair step on brick? Is the crack apparent on both sides of the wall. If it's a new home then I wouldn't necessarily be getting too concern just yet.

Scott Patterson
06-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I have a house that is less than 3 years old and there is a vertical crack running from garage door up to window above garage. Is this usually a structural issue?

My real estate agent put me with a private builder and he gave us a one year warranty but nothing about a structural warranty. I am in Kentucky if that matters.

Humm, the house is in KY! KY is also home to some major cave and underground river systems..... It could even be a sinkhole under the house..

You need to hire a very good home inspector, get a new real estate agent and follow the advise of the inspector and not the agent when it comes to the condition of the home!

R Sheeler
06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
It is brick. The crack is mostly straight up the outside of the garage. This is a two car garage.