PDA

View Full Version : I'm the first inspector to ever.....

JB Thompson
06-02-2012, 09:59 AM
....inspect a roof with the seller's dog in tow.

Surely, no one has ever done this before. Have you? Can I get a Guinness Book of Records mention?

Nick Ostrowski
06-02-2012, 10:19 AM
How did he get up there?

Gunnar Alquist
06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
JB

I hereby award you the appropriate prize.

Eric Barker
06-02-2012, 10:50 AM
How did he get up there?

The bigger question - how did he get back down?

JB Thompson
06-02-2012, 10:57 AM
JB

Woohoo, I finally won something!!!!

Now for the secret..... It's an age-old, family tradition passed down through hundreds of generations.

Jerry Peck
06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Now for the secret..... It's an age-old, family tradition passed down through hundreds of generations.

I know you addressed all the issues with that guard around the roof deck, as well as the roof deck itself - excellent. ;)

Kristi Silber
06-02-2012, 10:22 PM
What's that thing in the foreground on the deck?

Richard Skalski
06-03-2012, 05:39 AM
It looks to me like a exhaust for a heat source of some type. That is one scary deck!

Alton Darty
06-03-2012, 06:51 AM
What's that thing in the foreground on the deck?

Skeet or Trap thrower.

John Kogel
06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I like the shingled valley cum sidewalk. But that's just the house. C'mon, let's shoot some skeet.

Kristi Silber
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Skeet or Trap thrower.
Thanks, Alton. Weird - I've never seen one before, but that's what I'd guessed.

Billy Stephens
06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
JB

.....:D

John Kogel
06-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Billy, you reminds me of this Kenny Rogers tune ..
8 miles outa Memphis and I ain't got a prayer
8 miles straight up downtown somewhere :D

Thom Huggett
06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Nice drainage swale on the comp shingles, not to mention inadequate slope (3:12 minimum). That is going to leak eventually.

Billy Stephens
06-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Billy, you reminds me of this Kenny Rogers tune ..
8 miles outa Memphis and I ain't got a prayer
8 miles straight up downtown somewhere :D
Kenny Rogers and the The First Edition - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition my Condition Was In) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxmIoWUVNI)

" You Reminds Me ? " :eek:

* you ain't from Around Here are Ya ? :)

JB Thompson
06-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I wondered when you guys were going to start commenting!

Let's just say that when I drove up to the house, my jaw dropped and I may have said something like, OMG

The report was 58 pages long and the roof/deck (with chimney through concrete and skeet thrower) was merely a small portion of what I wrote up.

Let's just say, I wasn't paid nearly enough for the time I have invested in the inspection and report. I think I grossed about $40/hr. :(

John Kogel
06-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I wondered when you guys were going to start commenting!

JB, you and your doggie friend get a pat on the head, how's that? :D:)

Kenny Rogers and the The First Edition - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition my Condition Was In) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAxmIoWUVNI)
.Thanks, Billy. I'm sure I watched that very same video on a 19" black and white portable in what, 1969, and was as disgusted then as I am now.
The camera guy can't find the lead player's hands, and they got the bass player happily strumming on a 6-string.
Well, if John and Yoko could cut a hit single in while laying in bed, so could Kenny, I suppose.
The Great Lubowski version would be my pick for that tune, though. :)

Dan Harris
06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I know you addressed all the issues with that guard around the roof deck, as well as the roof deck itself - excellent. ;)

Question about the railing. I have a new home final coming up with a simular deck, that was refered to me from another inspector..The railing ends about the same way on the roof.
Where should the railing end? To me if a person can walk on the roof and fall off the roof, railings should be installed. But that would require railings limiting access to the roof.

Jim Luttrall
06-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Question about the railing. I have a new home final coming up with a simular deck, that was refered to me from another inspector..The railing ends about the same way on the roof.
Where should the railing end? To me if a person can walk on the roof and fall off the roof, railings should be installed. But that would require railings limiting access to the roof.
You really don't want people to be walking around on the roof... so railings limiting access to the roof without a walking surface (decking) would be a good idea in my mind.

JB Thompson
06-06-2012, 07:32 PM

I agree. The shingles are not designed for regular foot traffic so this setup should be discouraged. I've not bothered to look up the code, but I'd be willing to bet that deck should be completely railed and set apart from the roof.

My quick .02 cents without putting much thought into it b/c my brain is funked out right now,
Bruce

Joe Klampfer
06-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I just wonder if the dog starts marking his turf, it could start smelling a little funky in the attic below those turbines :)

Billy Stephens
06-07-2012, 04:17 PM
The Great Lubowski version would be my pick
For You Listing Enjoyment ! :D

"Weird Al" Yankovic - White & Nerdy - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw)
"Weird Al" Yankovic - Fat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE)
*" when I go to get my shoes shined I gotta take their word " :eek:

Harold Doughty
06-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't have a picture of it, but back in the 90's when I was working on a roof, my dog was suddenly standing there next to me. My first thought was, how the heck did that dog get up here? The answer, she climbed the extension ladder! My brother and I had her with us on nearly all our jobsites, and I guess she watched us climb up and down ladders so much, that she just decided to follow us up on the roof that day.
I never was able to teach her to go down by herself, but luckily she only weighed about 45 lbs. It sure was a conversation starter though.:)

JB Thompson
06-08-2012, 07:51 AM
I don't have a picture of it, but back in the 90's when I was working on a roof, my dog was suddenly standing there next to me. My first thought was, how the heck did that dog get up here? The answer, she climbed the extension ladder! My brother and I had her with us on nearly all our jobsites, and I guess she watched us climb up and down ladders so much, that she just decided to follow us up on the roof that day.
I never was able to teach her to go down by herself, but luckily she only weighed about 45 lbs. It sure was a conversation starter though.:)

I'm trying to delete your post b/c you stole my thunder! :D

Harold Doughty
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm trying to delete your post b/c you stole my thunder! :D

Your skeet thrower and hand warmer (chimney) have me beat.;)

JB Thompson
06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Your skeet thrower and hand warmer (chimney) have me beat.;)

It is a fine skeet chunker!