PDA

View Full Version : What is this....???

Stanley Chow
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I found this in a home built in 1950. The "can" is a component of the sanitary sewer. 2" cast-iron inlet from the bathtub drain connected to the bottom of the can; 2" C.I. outlet at top of can ties into 2-1/2" C.I. pipe then 4" C.I. to main sewer. As you can see, it's rusted pretty badly and leaking from the top of the can.

What is this "can" and what is its purpose?

Repair is unlikely due to the extensive rust. So replacement is necessary. Is this component still available today? If not, can it be replaced with a standard P-trap...or what?

Any help is appreciated.

Stan

Stanley Chow
06-03-2012, 10:49 AM
One more thing....the can is 4" diameter and 5-1/2" tall.

Steven Turetsky
06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Looks like a barrel trap. Yes they can be replaced.

Stanley Chow
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Steven....is a "barrel" trap the same as a "bottle" trap? Wouldn't it be easier to replace it with a standard P-trap than to find a matching device like this? I'm not sure why a specially manufactured device was installed when a simple trap using readily available pipe sections could do the job. Same principles of physics and siphoning applies...what am I missing?

Thanks for your help Steven.
Stan

Dom D'Agostino
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Look up "drum trap".

They were very common, I bet lots of Jersey houses have them. I'm surprised you haven't seen one before, but it won't be the last one you see if you have older housing stock in your area.

Dom.

Jerry Peck
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
is a "barrel" trap the same as a "bottle" trap?

No, completely different types of animals.

Stanley Chow
06-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Very helpful...Thanks alot Dom and everyone for the education.

Stan

Bill Penn
06-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Possibly a drum trap installed up side down.

Rod Smith
06-04-2012, 05:26 AM
I agree... it is an old Drum trap - and yes, it should be VERY easy to replace, once you get the old one off the line!

Markus Keller
06-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Its an old drum trap. Easy enough to cut out and replace.
Use a sawzall, don't bother trying with a wrench. It will never turn out. Unless you manage to keep vibration down you'll probably also have to replace the tub shoe. You should also assume replacing the horizontal run off the trap to the stack since the pipe is usually extremely clogged. turn it out of the stack with a wrench carefully after cutting the trap out. 2 hour repair if you get lucky. 4-5 hour repair if you break the horizontal pipe and have to dig muck out of the stack connection threads. Replacing the shoe can also be a PIA. Good luck.

Rod Butler
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
I have never seen these before either and I am approaching the point where I will someday be considered an old guy. :(

Thanks for the education.

Phil Gould
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
We had a drum trap in our 1920s Chicago condo for our tub. We see them fairly often here. My old boss always called them out for future replacement. The photo is of the metal cover on the bath floor, as a way to know it is there. The ceiling is finished below ours so it isn't visible there. The plumber replaced ours with a p-trap, we kept the drum trap in place (without the piping to it) because we didn't want to retile the floor.

David Stoffer
06-05-2012, 05:36 AM
One more thing....the can is 4" diameter and 5-1/2" tall.

In my area these are called drum traps

Pre P Trap

Recommend replacing with a P Trap

Ron Hasil
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Drum trap in need of a new clean out cover. Still common around here.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
If that's really the "sewer" then you're in need of more than a simple repair.

This home still on private treatment (septic) or connected to city sewer system?

Ron H, did you notice the description, the elevations, esp. the second picture (size change, etc.) ? (reminder poster is in NJ - that's the (Nat. Stand. Plumb. Code).

Ron Hasil
06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Mr Watson, that fitting in the middle of the line is a Durham fitting. Its used as a union for drainage pipe. One side is caulked and leaded where the other side is threaded. So it give the visuale of pipe size changing. Also Most drum traps for bath tubs are 1 1/2" IPS. So I feel the inlet and outlet is 1 1/2" and the Durham fitting is making a transtion to 2" then it would tie into 4" stack down stream.

Oh for the trap to be leaking out of the cover, the line has a blockage down stream of the trap. But the plug still needs to be replaced.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh for the trap to be leaking out of the cover, the line has a blockage down stream of the trap.

Yes, and...