PDA

View Full Version : Why are soffits bricked up?

Lisa Simkins
06-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi; I have seen this in the attic of two old houses recently (1920's - 1940ish). The soffits appear to be brick and mortared up from the inside, maybe to keep critters out. Does anyone know if this was an original construction technique?

Joseph Ehrhardt
06-05-2012, 07:14 PM
yes, to keep the blown in insulation in the cavity, today they staple a card board curb with a space on top for the ventilation, it allows the air to move. Some times in condos where the wind blows off the atlanitc here, it moves the insualtion.

wayne soper
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
What was the exterior of the building?
Is that charred wood or is that only moisture stain?
That collar tie looks burnt

Joseph Ehrhardt
06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
something going on there with no passive air for sure

Stephen G
06-05-2012, 07:19 PM
It was common back then to use bricks to fill the gap between the studs. It stopped the wind from blowing through the walls. Gave almost nothing for an R value. Go to Inspectipedia, they have a an article on it...good luck

John Kogel
06-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I see moisture stains from a profound lack of ventilation.
Also, some very long unsupported spans for 2 X 4 rafters. Mind you, that is good quality wood and the hip design is strong. There's a good chance the original attic had no insulation whatsoever, so closing the soffits off made sense.

Stephen G
06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
I see moisture stains from a profound lack of ventilation.
Also, some very long unsupported spans for 2 X 4 rafters. Mind you, that is good quality wood and the hip design is strong. There's a good chance the original attic had no insulation whatsoever, so closing the soffits off made sense.

Its a hip, with real lumber, I bet they are 2x4,

wayne soper
06-05-2012, 07:27 PM
$20 on 2x6:D

Stephen G
06-05-2012, 07:34 PM
$20 on 2x6:D

Not from that pic;) ..i did mean a real 2x4 not dimensional lumber...that hip king would be a 6 though,,,nes pas

John Kogel
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM
$20 on 2x6:DI can bill your CC if you email me private. :)

Lisa Simkins
06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
What was the exterior of the building?
Is that charred wood or is that only moisture stain?
That collar tie looks burnt

When I was there I did not get the impression of charring. There was definitely moisture damage from failed shingles, and probably poor ventilation, although roof vents had been added. The inside of the house was original plaster and hardwood floors so a serious fire history is unlikely.

Roof framing was 2 x 4, with 2 x 6 collar ties for my betting friends. 1920's construction.

The building is brick, and possibly solid due to arches over windows although there were no header rows. The basement was finished with old plaster so joists or sills and framing was not visible to check wall construction.

The attic access was so tight, I could only think of Jenny Craig as I was exiting!

Raymond Wand
07-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Double brick wall.

Plank decking breaths well, however in older homes no vapour barrier, and no ice shield, staining likely from ice damming and condensation over the years and lack of insulation.

It is also common for older home such as this to have long rafters true dimensional 2x4's.

Old homes never had soffit venting due to natural air leakage.