PDA

View Full Version : downspout drain to window well

Peter Louis
06-07-2012, 09:43 PM
First time I saw this. it looks like EPDM membrane under gravel. Downspout drains to the gravel. also downspouts drain above & underground in this building. Why did they build this single one like this?

2001 detached.

Door Guy
06-08-2012, 03:59 AM
I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.

wayne soper
06-08-2012, 05:18 AM
useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods

Peter Louis
06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
I would assume this runs down to the footing drains, along with the drain in the window well.

I saw standing water in the well when I open up the hose tap. possible open-up to window well. I cannot imagine Why it needed to go here to connect perimeter drain.

Peter Louis
06-08-2012, 07:15 AM
useing the footing drains is a bad idea and is the cause of many basement floods

most buildings in this way in this area

Michael Dennison
06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.

Door Guy
06-08-2012, 01:33 PM
The downspouts should be directing the water as far away from the building as possible and I would not recommend that it go into the footing drains as they can get overloaded. Certainly into a window well area will lead to nothing good that I can think of.

If they used solid pipe and ran it along side the footing drain to daylight, I don't see a problem with it. That would be better than running it on top of the ground. I agree, not a good idea to use the drain for gutters and over load it.