PDA

View Full Version : Hose bibb height

Stanley Chow
06-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Is there a minimum height above grade for exterior hose bibbs? I'm thinking of possible siphoning effect.

Thanks.

Jim Luttrall
06-19-2012, 05:49 AM
NO but it needs a vacuum breaker.

Jerry Peck
06-19-2012, 03:28 PM
YES ... the height required for an air gap because you know that atmospheric vacuum breaker is going to be removed :) ... and because of the closeness of the hose bibb to the wall the air gap may need to be 3 or 4 times the effective diameter of the outlet instead of just 2 times the effective diameter.

Corn Walker
06-21-2012, 03:02 PM
YES ... the height required for an air gap because you know that atmospheric vacuum breaker is going to be removed :) ... and because of the closeness of the hose bibb to the wall the air gap may need to be 3 or 4 times the effective diameter of the outlet instead of just 2 times the effective diameter.

In my area, the anti-siphon devices need to be non-removable. Which means they either need to be integrated into the hose bibb, or they need to be kept in place with a set screw designed such that the head shears off when tightened appropriately.

Stanley Chow
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you All for your responses.

Stan

Jerry Peck
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
In my area, the anti-siphon devices need to be non-removable. Which means they either need to be integrated into the hose bibb, or they need to be kept in place with a set screw designed such that the head shears off when tightened appropriately.

Yep, same all over, except ... people still take them off.

Sure, the threads on the hose bibb are somewhat buggered up by that broken off screw, but if they can still get a hose to screw onto it ... so what? (That is what they think.)