PDA

View Full Version : Exterior installed commerical Freezer

dan orourke
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Rick Hurst
09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Doing PC work for years in restaurants, I've seen that moisture before as seen in your pics.

Most of the time, the seal around the door was defective. Cold air and warm air meet, you well what happens then.

As for as the exterior, the inside of the walls may not be insulated well.

Water has a way of finding its way to the exterior of things doesn't it?

Rick

Rick Hurst
09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Dan,

They need to be calling a Refrigeration Contractor to detemine repairs. You mentioned that this was in a florist shop.

More reason to expect some of the moisture. Those doors are being opened and closed frequently during the day so some moisture would be expected in my opinion.

All fresh plants are in water too when shipped. Could be just some run-off.

Did you happen to check around the door to see if any cool air was leaking. Areas as such can be checked out with a laser temperature tool and pick up on the loss of the air.

Rick

Rick Hurst
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Additional thought.

Being a florist shop, you have spores falling off the plants which in turn could be conducive to mold.

Jim Luttrall
09-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Very typical to have water issues on and around walk-in coolers even if totally inside a building due to condensation and much more issues if partially outside.

I would just note what I saw along with the potential for concealed damage and ongoing damage.
There will be water entry from the exterior from the way the unit is installed on the slab.
You said this is a freezer... if indeed a freezer, the floor needs to have insulation or ice will tend to grow under the slab. This could be a metal covered panel (manufactured) floor or insulation under the concrete. Not as critical if it is just a cooler.
I would not defer to a mold guy, just tell them they have a water problem that won't get better and Sheetrock is not a good choice of building material when there is water present, get a qualified person to replace it with a water resistant material. IMHO

Jerry Peck
09-12-2007, 05:44 PM
what is causing the moisture on the interior sheetrock wall side next to the freezer entrance door? Condensation?

Yes.

As explained by the others above.

Putting drywall there is not any better than putting drywall around a tub and expecting it 'to stay dry' - ain't gonna happen. :)