PDA

View Full Version : Guess What I Am

Nick Ostrowski
06-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I want to see who can guess what these pics indicate before I post up the rest of the pictures.

Rick Cantrell
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
underground bunker

Nick Ostrowski
06-22-2012, 10:20 AM
underground bunker

You got it Rick. Bomb shelter. Here are the rest of pics. The entrance was built in to the rear wall in the basement. It was like stepping back in time walking into it.

James McKinley
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
My grandfather was a GC in upstate NY and he built a few bomb shelters during the cold war era. Always eerie looking, that one would make a great mother in law suite!

Rick Cantrell
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
My grandfather was a GC in upstate NY and he built a few bomb shelters during the cold war era. Always eerie looking, that one would make a great mother in law suite!

I almost said 1950's mother in-law suite.

Garry Sorrells
06-24-2012, 07:45 AM
The beginning of a real Man Cave :D:D.

Welmoed Sisson
06-24-2012, 09:27 AM
When I was growing up, I had a friend whose family put in a bomb shelter. It wasn't attached to the house; access was via a hatch in the back yard. We used to play down there all the time. It looked a lot like this one: a cylindrical unit with two sets of bunk beds that folded down from the side walls. It also had a stationary bicycle that operated the ventilation pump. I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.

Billy Stephens
06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.
Are ya Sure ? ;)

Nick Ostrowski
06-24-2012, 05:35 PM
When I was growing up, I had a friend whose family put in a bomb shelter. It wasn't attached to the house; access was via a hatch in the back yard. We used to play down there all the time. It looked a lot like this one: a cylindrical unit with two sets of bunk beds that folded down from the side walls. It also had a stationary bicycle that operated the ventilation pump. I don't remember there being a toilet, but there must have been one in there somewhere.

They must have gotten that idea from Gilligans Island where Gilligan pedaled the bike to recharge the coconuts.

Joseph Peake
06-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Nick, On a serious note, do you think it would be worth mentioning that structural integrity (due to corrosion) could be an issue?

Nick Ostrowski
06-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Nick, On a serious note, do you think it would be worth mentioning that structural integrity (due to corrosion) could be an issue?

If there was a significant amount of visible corrosion and rust, yes. But I didn't see much aside from some general surface rust.

The buyer has already bailed on the purchase. The house had too many other issues.

Don Hester
06-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I did an inspection on a house that the guy had a bunker in his master bedroom floor.

Problem was he had an electrical fire and he died 10 feet from his bed from smoke inhalation then all his ammo blew and moved the wall a 1-1/2 into the front room.

Moral of the story, bunkers only work if you get there in time:eek:

Rick Hurst
06-28-2012, 11:01 PM
That bunker looks rather depressing. I'd probably rather just step outside and watch for the flash in the horizon...

rick

Rich Goeken
06-29-2012, 03:51 AM
underground bunker

Rick, to beat me to it. :D I have only seen two here in central NJ. One was a fallout shelter built in the basement of a home we were looking to purchase. Looked just like in the movies with an enterance that you had to turn around to get in (blocked radiation). Built out of concrete blocks and even had sandbags on the "roof." Took up the whole basement. We passed on that one. The other was down the street from where we lived. Seemed that the person who lived there was a big moho in the Stock Exchange in NY. His company put this thing in his back yard. About the size of two double-seaters! Wouldn't want to be in that one for any time!

Jim Starkey
06-29-2012, 05:25 AM
I see those all the time here in Texas but they are called Tornado shelters or storm shelters and are usually made of concrete.

Thom Walker
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
If there was a significant amount of visible corrosion and rust, yes. But I didn't see much aside from some general surface rust.

The buyer has already bailed on the purchase. The house had too many other issues.

I was going to say; from the first picture that the shelter may have fewer moisture problems than the house. I got claustrophobic looking at the pictures. Crawling a crawl is one thing, but being in an environment like that with a possibility of debris (after an "event") blocking my egress is too much to think about. :eek:

John Kogel
06-29-2012, 08:53 PM
That bunker looks rather depressing. I'd probably rather just step outside and watch for the flash in the horizon...

rickOr how about adding wings and a rocket engine? Might be able to ride the shock wave. :D

Marshall Eckert
06-29-2012, 09:43 PM
In 25 years of inspecting in Indiana I have seen only one. It was a dark and dreary place.http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/images/icons/icon9.gif