PDA

View Full Version : Radiant snowmelt controls

mathew stouffer
06-28-2012, 06:33 AM
These appear to be zone controls for irrigation although they are being used for exterior snowmelt zones associated with a gas boiler. This is a first for me, they functioned. Any thoughts.

Garry Blankenship
06-28-2012, 07:47 AM
The "they functioned" part probably is all that is needed for your report. Going to that expense for snow melt seems a bit "out there" to me, but snow is not common in my hood.

Rod Butler
06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
These appear to be zone controls for irrigation although they are being used for exterior snowmelt zones associated with a gas boiler. This is a first for me, they functioned. Any thoughts.

That's the controller I use for my sprinkler system!

My thought is that it is a huge energy waster, the system is running when it doesn't need to. In slab temp sensors, and/or moisture sensors, would be a better way to go. As far as working to melt snow, I think it would work but the time's wouldn't be very well coordinated with the actual snow fall.

mathew stouffer
06-28-2012, 07:12 PM
you have to turn them on manually. Rob you should see the amt of cash people send on snowmetl. Some of the larger homes have systems well over a 100k to install, its crazy. You could buy a fleet of snow blowers

Jerry Peck
06-28-2012, 08:34 PM
you have to turn them on manually. Rob you should see the amt of cash people send on snowmetl. Some of the larger homes have systems well over a 100k to install, its crazy. You could buy a fleet of snow blowers

If I lived in the snow area and had unlimited amounts of money ... I'd have the only green grass yard all year round - all 200 acres of the front yard would be that way ... :D

Rod Butler
06-29-2012, 08:21 AM

That's crazy. Then they buy their kids a Prius thinking that will offset their footprint, teach their kids about conservation, and look good for the neighbors.

:D

Ken Harbeck
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately heated driveways are not unheard of in our area. Ditto the parking a Prius on one = crazy hypocritical.