PDA

View Full Version : Just decided to switch careers

Dave Rose
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
After 25 years in a corporate finance position at a MegaCorp, I've decided to be a home inspector. I consider this a "sunset" career...where I hope to work full time for 2-3 years and then reduce my hours to about 24 for a number of years more. I'm 50 years old, have saved a lot of money and am now looking to wind down a bit.

I was just offered a position in Indiana for a local inspection company, and have a lot to learn. I have not taken any training yet, and will be asking a lot of basic questions.

I still have to work at MegaCorp for another 5 weeks, and then will call it quits.

See everyone around the forums.

Dave:D

Benjamin Thompson
07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
After 25 years in a corporate finance position at a MegaCorp, I've decided to be a home inspector. I consider this a "sunset" career...where I hope to work full time for 2-3 years and then reduce my hours to about 24 for a number of years more. I'm 50 years old, have saved a lot of money and am now looking to wind down a bit.

I was just offered a position in Indiana for a local inspection company, and have a lot to learn. I have not taken any training yet, and will be asking a lot of basic questions.

I still have to work at MegaCorp for another 5 weeks, and then will call it quits.

See everyone around the forums.

Dave:D

I'll trade ya! I say go for it, Inspect until your money runs out!

Stephen G
07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
congrats Dave, welcome, good luck in you new career :)

Steve

Joseph Peake
07-15-2012, 06:02 AM
Welcome, Dave.
As you know the market's currently horrible, so don't expect to make even a living wage at this time. If you're a quick study and the firm you're with is busy, more power to you, but that would be the exception rather and the rule. However, if you spend this time learning, you'll be in a great position to "ramp up" at the market recovers.