PDA

View Full Version : Fish (Koi) pond in pool area

Brian Harwood
07-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I have been asked if I would inspect this Koi pond that is inside the bird cage area of a swimming pool as part of a home inspection/pool inspection. So, this is a new one for me, and other than checking for the typical items that I would inspect during a pool inspection such as plumbing leaks, GFCI circuit, pump function, etc., does anyone have any insight on proper pond inspection and if there are others areas to be inspected or concerns :confused:

Markus Keller
07-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I would do the following:
- forget its a Koi pond and inspect it for general condition, waterproof condition, general safety etc. Specify in your contract you are not an expert, this is not a detailed insp blah blah. Check the water source, water drainage, overflow arrangement, where will overflow go etc. Pretend it is a potential source that could damage the house and assess it from there.
- call a local fish store, ask if they have a guy who can come out and assess the Koi, the set-up, the water, blah blah; find out what he charges, add some juice on and sell it to the client as an extra service

Jack Feldmann
07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Having had koi ponds for several years, I would advise you to tell them to find someone else to check out the pond. Forget the health of the fish and plants, way too many things that can go bad without you having a clue.
There are so many potential issues that you just cant check out, that you will be opening yourself up to a huge amount of liability. Some fish can be very expensive. Some plants can be just as expensive.
Here are some examples:
UV light filter may appear to be working (light is on), but is worn out.
Pumps and filters have so many potential issues that are just not visible. Many components are inside the pond under water.
There can be slow leaks in the liner that don't show up for days.

Depending on the size of the pond, it could take several hours to check it out. Generally you would expect to drain the pond to inspect the liner and equipment.

I would't inspect a koi pond for a client, period.

Nick Ostrowski
07-10-2012, 03:22 AM
I would't inspect a koi pond for a client, period.

What Jack said. I would tell buyers up front it's not included in the inspection and that I know nothing about them.

Scott Patterson
07-10-2012, 05:30 AM
I agree with Jack..

We as home inspectors need to learn our limitations and realize that we are not the call all single inspector folks need with a home. As a person who offers litigation services to attorneys I can tell you first hand that inspectors get into trouble when they try be the answer to all things in an inspection.

Unless you really know about items like ponds, pools, irrigation systems, etc, etc... you really should tell your client that they need to hire a pond, poop, irrigation system, etc.... expert.

Jack Feldmann
07-10-2012, 07:16 PM
OK, must have missed the photo the first time.
Not so many plants, not that large of a pond.

Same advice, don't inspect the pond.