PDA

View Full Version : Input please

Chris Stichter
07-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi guys,

I have not come across anything like this before and would appreciate your input. This is from a 1966 house with an FPE panel, so it already has it's issues. I operated the switches inside the home and could hear a buzzing in this panel which was in the pantry. Are these transformers to a low voltage system? If so...what was the design in mind and why did I hear buzzing? Any immediate safety issues? With my experience could not offer much other than review/repairs by a licensed electrician.

The clients walked due to multiple issues, but I'd like to know for my own peace of mind. As always..thank you for your feedback and knowledge.

Chris

Jerry Peck
07-23-2012, 07:07 PM
That is a low voltage lighting system.

A low voltage switch operates one of those relays and the relay turns the light on or off.

You likely noticed that the switches were quite different, definitely not regular lighting switches, right?

Chris Stichter
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Correct...kind of retro cool...maybe they'll make a comeback

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Look into Touch-Plate Electro-Systems - looks to be what you have in this and the other thread you started (same home, picture of plate-mounted switch).

John Kogel
07-24-2012, 06:45 AM
A buzzing sound from a transformer means it needs to be replaced. They can heat up and short out, causing smoke damage or possibly a fire in the panel.
So the house needs rewiring of light switches as well as a new breaker panel. Ouch.