PDA

View Full Version : Floor damage question

Jim McClendon
09-14-2007, 06:31 AM
The apartment showed signs of water damage on the walls and tile. Can any one tell me what might have caused this? Busted pipes in the concrete?

Rick Hurst
09-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Jim,

The apartment has probably been flooded somehow in the past. To verify a damaged line below the slab, a plumber should do a pressure test.

As far as the tile, this type of damage occurs to vinyl type tiles when they have been wet. Usually after such flooding or moisture damages, the place was probably closed off. The humidy builds up within the enclosure and the floor tiles start popping up from the floor.

Rick

Jim Luttrall
09-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Jim, not to discount Ricks observation which is the most likely, but it might

also be a possibility that there is no vapor barrier and moisture vapor is

collecting on the back of the tile and causing it to blister.

There is the moisture line on the side will that looks like a past flood, but excessive moisture can also wick up onto walls.

Bottom line, there is water damage. Report what you see since you don't

have a crystal ball or time machine to see what happened in the past.

wayne soper
09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Those tiles were normally set directly on the concrete, They may contain Asbestos also, but typical condition for water seepage conditions. That would not happen from one occurrance but would be more like every wet season or possibly heavy rain.

Jack Feldmann
09-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm with Rick, looks like it was flooded at some point. I've only seem those tiles attached directly to slabs.
If they are 9x9 theyr ARE asbestos, if 12x12, they could be depending on their age.

Looks like past flooding to me.
JF

Jim McClendon
09-15-2007, 07:08 AM
The building was built in 1976 and the tiles are 12x12. How could you tell if they are asbestos?

wayne soper
09-15-2007, 07:13 AM
You can bring a chip to the lab and have it tested.

David Banks
09-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Jim. You should put something like this in your reports.

TILE/LINOLEUM FLOOR: If the existing tile was installed prior to 1980 it is possible the tile and or adhesive do contain asbestos. Lab test is only way to verify asbestos. One alternative recommended by EPA is don't sand or try to level asbestos flooring or its backing. When asbestos flooring needs replacing, install new floor covering over it, if possible. Recommend this website. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov)

Ray Darrah
10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Jim. You should put something like this in your reports.

TILE/LINOLEUM FLOOR: If the existing tile was installed prior to 1980 it is possible the tile and or adhesive do contain asbestos. Lab test is only way to verify asbestos. One alternative recommended by EPA is don't sand or try to level asbestos flooring or its backing. When asbestos flooring needs replacing, install new floor covering over it, if possible. Recommend this website. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (http://www.epa.gov)

I have not read all the posts responding to this problem, but I see a few things here.
1. Don't I see water stains along the bottom of the walls?
2. Tile installed may contain asbestos as I think I see black adhesive wicking between tile indicating Cut-Back adhesive commonly used prior to the 1990's when tile had asbestos. If that is not black adhesive, then this may be adhesive getting soiled giving the appearance of Cut-Back adhesive.
3. If this is not flood related, my guess would be the concrete has excessive vapor emissions, however, the loose areas look to be isolated to the tile joints. Usually, we see bumps, from alkali, all over the area, not isolated to the joints.

Richard Rushing
10-20-2007, 04:30 PM
No question that is water damage.

If there was any question with the tiles, just take a look at the high wate mark on the walls.

Or, I guess there could have been a long pissing dog that was very consistent with extablishing his territory...
rr