PDA

View Full Version : VA certification as a Home Inspector

John M. Stephens
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I recently got a call from someone looking for a VA Certified Home Inspector. I've been in the home inspection business about two years and this is the first call I've received about this. Any ideas on how to become VA Certified? BTW: I've spent numerous hours researching the internet and unable to locate a web page discussing how to become certified.

John
Safe & Sound Home Inspections

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Depends on the type.I suggest you read some of the topic discussions in this area of the forum (clickable link):

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/va-fha-hud-disaster-insurance-inspections-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/

Requirements for various FHA, VA and Department of Ag (Rural developmt) administered underwriting/insured lending programs are similar, rostering program, forms and program names different.

Scott Patterson
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I recently got a call from someone looking for a VA Certified Home Inspector. I've been in the home inspection business about two years and this is the first call I've received about this. Any ideas on how to become VA Certified? BTW: I've spent numerous hours researching the internet and unable to locate a web page discussing how to become certified.

John
Safe & Sound Home Inspections

You need to find out what they need the inspection for. If it is just to buy the home then if you are licensed in TN as a home inspector you will qualify. If it is for the construction of the home, remodel, or for a special VA loan or grant then you will not qualify unless you are approved by the VA. To get a Approved you can go to the HUD fee paid inspector website and download the application. Yes, it is on the HUD site.. Make sure you meet their requirements. You will need some references from folks that are in the business.

Fill it out and submit, it will take a month or so before you here back on anything. Be sure you do not leave any space or blank unfilled. Everything must be answered properly or it will be rejected.

John M. Stephens
07-31-2012, 06:19 AM
The guy told me he applied for a loan through USAA and they required a VA Certified Home Inspector to do the inspection. I appreciate the replies!

H.G. Watson, Sr.
07-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Fixed the link formatting in the post above.

Stuart Brooks
08-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Inspection - Appraisal
For a home inspection, I've never had a problem with performing inspections for a buyer with a VA loan and I've had a lot. Aside the point of improvements and construction loans, the VA appraisal is OFTEN called a VA inspection; Just like FHA or their ilk. I have become familiar with the things that a typical appraiser will go nuts over and try to bring that to the buyer's attention. Sometimes the lender or closer gets a bit bad information and extrapolates to the extreme. Get the person requiring a VA certified inspector to define the term. I run across this a gazillion times with well water tests. The loan closer wants an FHA or VA or USDA water test that includes lead nitrates, nitrites, Ph and a bunch of stuff that is not required by HUD, the VA or FHA. They only ask for what the locality in which the property exists requires. In my case it's Coliform bacteria. BUT, since they read something about the EPA RECOMMENDED well water tests, that's what they want. If costs several hundred dollars and takes a week or more to obtain the full results doesn't make a difference.

Rick Ramirez
08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Stuart, in your posting you use the word appraisal, why. Are you valuating the property or inspecting it, just curious.

Rick

Stuart Brooks
08-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Stuart, in your posting you use the word appraisal, why. Are you valuating the property or inspecting it, just curious.
Rick

Inspection - ..., the VA appraisal is OFTEN called a VA inspection, ...

Rick Ramirez
08-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Ah, thanks. Leave it up to government to miss title a job. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Rick