PDA

View Full Version : Interesting DIY Electrical

Garry Blankenship
07-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Very tight crawl and could not get as close as preferred. A cable I have not seen before. Gray jacketed, 12/3, stranded cu. Definitely not typical N/M, but similar construction. Interesting part is that terminal block used to splice, ( no j-box & no wire nuts ). The separated conduit is a garage/shop sub-feed. Also unique wire - - - #2 cu, but a very fine stranding. That same 12/3 stranded cable was used for the water heater circuit. Could not get enough label data off that cable to ID it. Reported all; but I give them high marks for creativity. Close to what is necessary, but a swing and a miss. Lots of similar "closes". The "one" kitchen counter circuit was fed through the first GFI outlet. The following two outlets were also GFI. The first tripped all and the 2nd & 3rd tripped themselves - - - double protection
:rolleyes: .

Mark Kittle
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Don't see an equipment ground in the cable. Looks like some kind of data or media cable and probably not recognized as a suitable wiring method in the NEC. Open splice in close proximity to the insulation, not good. What's up with the PVC???

Vern Heiler
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Looks like power cord used in electronic equipment, main frame computers, printers, etc. Typicaly ran fans, small motors and power supplies.

John Kogel
07-31-2012, 01:15 PM
It could be low voltage wiring for speakers, computer or controls of some kind. Low voltage, then no j-box required.
But since you saw the same wiring going to the water heater it is probably high voltage, NFG. It looks like extension cords.

I saw an extension cord to water heater setup where there were frequent power failures. The HO could plug the WH into his generator during blackouts.

Will a spark ignite that fiberglass insulation? :confused:

Rollie Meyers
08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Flexible cord spliced on DIN rail mounted terminal blocks... More garbage "work".