PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen GFCI query

Pierre Coulombe
08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Here's a new one for me... 12 yr old house, GFCI located in kitchen. One receptacle on each side of the sink, both tripped the GFCI when tested (which was located about 6 ft away). When the GFCI was tested, it do not trip with either the tester or the test button on the GFCI receptacle. I believe I tested it correctly, but am I missing something here? Shouldn't the GFCI receptacle trip when tested regardless of its location in the kitchen?

Gunnar Alquist
08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Here's a new one for me... 12 yr old house, GFCI located in kitchen. One receptacle on each side of the sink, both tripped the GFCI when tested (which was located about 6 ft away). When the GFCI was tested, it do not trip with either the tester or the test button on the GFCI receptacle. I believe I tested it correctly, but am I missing something here? Shouldn't the GFCI receptacle trip when tested regardless of its location in the kitchen?

Bonjour Pierre,

(I just had to)

Sounds to me like the device is improperly wired. Line/Load are probably reversed. The power in should connect to the conductors labeled "Line" and they are probably connected to the "Load" side. As a result, the device will protect downstream outlets, but not itself. I believe the newer GFCI devices will not allow power to any downstream outlets if wired in this manner.

Pierre Coulombe
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Merci, Gunnar. That is what I needed to know.
BTW, no offense taken. Just my Maine roots coming through.